Edited Date/Time: 10/3/2010 5:05 PM

Andreau- bent 888's
Hopkins- snapped 888's
Doerfling- snapped 888's
Strait- broken bars?

|

Ass Ass Ass

10/4/2010 12:57 PM

bottom line....888 are not good enough......

|

10/4/2010 1:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/4/2010 2:31 PM

[edited, strait did bust bars, not stem]
to say something not holding up to any gnarly crash at rampage = "not good enough" is insanity. the drops/gaps/crashes are bigger and harsher than any riding on the planet. go find something that is 60 feet in distance or 25+ feet down, then think about casing it.

|

10/4/2010 1:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/21/2016 10:19 AM

yup...I know that, my comment was sarcastic, is the way that you put it....this RedBull Rampage is the benchmark beyond the raiders....it's really the ultimate test to any brand. specially those who take the most brutal punishment...aka suspension, frames, forks, rims...you named....

However this is a good topic...one that really step up on the side of technology development...forget about how good a raider is....is purely about the performance on the bikes, regardless of what you hit or not hit...this is valuable information for the R&D...

Once you lay down the list of parts, you can have a trend thinking on the way they got busted...and by just looking and thinking at what we saw, there is a trend....that should be evaluated...

This is what they see at the XC side, on the Ruta de los Conquistadores here in CR...its marked in the top5 most brutal races in the world...yet, despite the race feeling, R&D here takes on that to evaluated what they have worked...and put into production...

|

10/4/2010 2:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/4/2011 5:12 PM

agreed, this is a good/interesting topic. blanket statements about a product just always get me amped and i couldn't detect the sarcasm in your post.

i'm glad i'm not a company trying to satisfy everyone's cry for light weight only to have products try to survive rampage too.

|

10/4/2010 2:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/4/2010 2:48 PM

Sorry yeah...probably i miss the "?" mark... Blush

OOOHHHH indeeed...everybody hates "heavy parts"...but yet, they want to huck everything....

|

10/4/2010 4:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/4/2010 4:24 PM

Yes. It is not so much what these companies have done wrong with their products, but rather what they can do improve upon their designs. Even if 99% of the users never benefit from these upgrades, a better product that holds up on terrain like Rampage's is sure to inspire confidence...kind of like insurance. I'd say Marz and Funn (Kyle Strait's bars) have gained a great deal of valuable information from this event and will only come back stronger.

|

Ass Ass Ass

10/4/2010 7:34 PM

any pictures of the snapped 888s? haha

|

1/19/2011 12:27 PM

yea and also it was the Marzocchi Riders who were laying it all on the line.....

Hopkins - Sending the canyon gap to bail.... first thing to hit the backside... the front wheel

Anrdeu - Backflip to front knuckle case on 50 ft gap almost

Doerfling - Second to hit the insane gap to wallride... the impact was brutal esp casing it...

Other riders like vanderham, gully, mcgarry, aggy.... the guys who went after it this year

|

4/12/2011 8:45 AM

Here is some of the damage from Rampage (PS - these are not my pictures)

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

4/15/2011 8:39 AM

I'm surprised that those steel stantions broke instead of bending in those two cases. I guess that shows the kind extreme stresses that rampage delivers.

|

5/3/2011 9:31 AM

if you look at those pictures both forks broke in about the same spot... so maybe there is a weak spot... howevere i ride the ti 888 and i have no fear of the snaping

|