PHOTOGRAPHY: Remote Flashes

Edited Date/Time 8/17/2014 1:50am
I usually shoot most of my local races and I'm pretty happy with a good percentage of my shots but I want to give remote flashes a go without throwing down $600(AUS) for some pocket wizards.

I'm running a Canon EOS 40D with a 17-40L, 75-300, EX420 Speedlite.

Anyway after some googling and searching ebay I stumbled across these...

Remote Flash Setup on ebay - CLICK HERE

Has anyone had any experience with the cheaper products? I know they won't really compare to pocket wizards or the like but for this tiny outlay you can't really complain right?

Any tips, guides,help, advice, abuse or whatever would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Paul
|
Mwood
1/12/2010 5:49pm Edited Date/Time 10/4/2011 5:10pm
So with my growing experience i have the cheapcheap ebay triggers are more of a hassle than any good. I am currently using Alien bee cyber sync triggers with Alien bee storbes and a nikon sb800 at school. they work very well and have not had many misfires with them using the nikon/alien bee combo. i would look for some reviews from ppl with canon because my one attempt with canon and the CS didnt go over well.

there is a lot to learn with off camera flash, so dive in
daymz
1/13/2010 12:24pm
Paul,

I would say give it a go.... esp. for that price. I would guess that they may not work 100% under all conditions as there are many factors that can interfere with radio slaves when shooting outdoors and that's why Pocketwizards cost more as they work better then mist others under all conditions and distances. Just play with them and learn where they do/don't work and even with Pocketwards I have to be thoughtful of trying to transmit thru large trees (moisture effects RF) and behind large mounds of dirt (earth absorbs RF), But for that price yeah, give it a go.
1/18/2010 8:04pm
Thanks for the responses guys. I think I'll try my luck with the cheapies on ebay and see how I go. Should be a bit of fun none the less.

cheers,

Paul
jpeters
1/19/2010 12:43am
I have found with triggers as with most photography gear the more you are willing to spend the better they will be... That being said, If you are on a budget try the ebay triggers!

Good luck!

jdpeters.com
CJPerry
1/19/2010 2:16am Edited Date/Time 1/19/2010 2:17am
I use elinchrom skyports which works just as well as pocket wizards but at a much better price. I know some other photographers who had skyports but changed to pocket wizards and later wished they didn't as it was not worth all the extra money.
sspomer
1/19/2010 8:07am
the new PW's provide more sync speed control which is pretty valuable. with the 5d, i've been able tune them to sync to 1/1000th of a second which is pretty sick.

i also second the advice of buy the good stuff. the old saying goes, "buy cheap, buy twice" - not saying you have to buy it new, but these are items you will use for years and years. don't think of them as disposable or "trendy" like a lot of photo accessories, ya know?

before getting the new PW's i used quantum radio slaves for years w/ success. they came in handy at events when 40 people had PW's and were on conflicting channels. being the only one with radio slaves, i never had that problem. ebay "radio slave" and see what comes up.

Post a reply to: PHOTOGRAPHY: Remote Flashes

The Latest