Accessibility Widget: On | Off

Farewell Mick Hannah thread!

Related:
Create New Tag

9/18/2021 4:45 PM

Goodbye to a legend of world cup DH. Great to see your boys run out to you after your run today the champagne spraying at you at the finish line.

How is it that Mick never got the bigtime factory support he deserved? He's always been a fan favorite, always been known as someone who puts in the extra effort, always been stylish and a helluva rider. And yet, even back in 2001 when all DH bikes were bad he was on Haro, which had a uniquely bad bike - and he was STILL competitive. Can you imagine what would've happened if he'd been on a factory team with a decent bike back then? He never got the big-name support one might think he should have. Am I missing something and wrong?

Fine, he's not had Minnaar's results or Troy's consistency, but he also never got the support they did was was still a finals qualifier for TWENTY years. Twenty years of being one of the top riders in the world. The GOAT is the only other rider to do that, right?

Dude is a legend. Up and coming Aussie riders are damn lucky if he stays on for support. Fabien Barel has surely been a reason for the French domination we've seen, so it'd be amazing to see Oz start pushing them back thanks to Sik Mik

|

9/18/2021 5:32 PM

His part in Earthed 2 blew my 13 year old mind.
He was riding and doing such scary looking stuff, all in shorts and a short sleeve jersey on a glorified Haro cross-country bike with a noodly Manitou dual crown up front. Still get the willys watching that part to this day.

|

9/18/2021 5:46 PM

Mick surely is a fan favorite, and has had an amazing career. I still remember pictures of him doing Sui-No-Handers over finish lines were my favorite part of race coverage in the 2000's.

Though, I'm not sure he will do much for up and coming Aussie riders, since he live in the US, and has for some time now.

But, I'm glad I've been able to watch his final race, and sui, and see him hug his kids at the finish line.

|

9/18/2021 11:57 PM

I'm a fan.

|