Do you smoke?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/5/2016 10:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/5/2016 10:44 PM

Do mtb'ers smoke or do drugs? In my view mtb'ers are pretty clean dudes who like to have a drink (beer). Do any of you guys smoke? I've only seen ONE guy who smokes cigars on his ride! But BMXers in my mind, at least the newer guys, are druggies and love to smoke and stuff. That's part of the reason why I quit BMX, I don't want to be portrayed as a bad example. Why do you see so much fights with skaters and BMXers? Because most of them are all douches. I think the BMX culture is messed up. What do you guys think? What do you think about the BMX culture? I'm not talking about old school. Like adam22 and Stevie churchhill those guys are total nuts. I probably made no sense...

|

2/6/2016 12:10 AM

hate to be the one to break it to ya kid but MTB secretly stands for Must Toke Bongs

|

2/6/2016 2:54 AM

i imagine very few mountain bikers, if any, smoke cigarettes. I know for a fact that a good portion hits the bong. The BMX and skate culture as a whole isn't what's "messed up", its the street scene that attracts some edgy characters. and I don't think adam22 or Stevie or any of those guys in the TCU webisodes are particularly crazy, they all seem like nice enough guys who just so happen to ride(see shred for Stevie) and partake in a few vices. If you want to get a better idea of what some of those dudes are like as people, watch the TCU TV interviews with some of them. All of them seem like pretty normal dude-bros to me. Stevie couldn't hurt a fly, he is super nice. There are some dudes in the street scene though who are crazy as fuck, i'll give you that. Adam and Stevie aren't those guys though.

|

2/6/2016 5:08 AM

Quite a lot of guys smoke in the MTB scene. Maybe not regularly but sometimes. It doesn't make any difference anyway. Everyone can do whatever they want and it doesn't make them douches or bad people. It's just their way of life and they can still be awesome riders. I know personally some MTB legends that smoke weed and I have no problem with that... They're still legends to me

|

2/6/2016 7:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/6/2016 7:16 AM

I think part of the reason that Mtb attracts a different crowd is that it is more costly to get into, more health and stamina based, and altogether a different mentality. BMX has a lot of subcultures though. Racers are basically the same crowd as mtb, trail riders may include some hippies, and street tends to be, well, street kids. Mtb has very few cigarette smokers because let's face it, they aren't going to make it through the ride without solid cardio. I do know however quite a few mountain bikers smoke pot, more than you'd expect, but they tend to keep it on the down low so you'll probably never know unless you hang out with them. So I think mtb is more health based than bmx, and that's why you will see less Adam22s and Stevies (which are actually fairly clean for the street scene).

|

2/6/2016 7:15 AM

PS I once met Matt Dennison and the IFHT crew at whistler and caught them passing a joint around

|

2/6/2016 7:32 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/6/2016 7:39 AM

Not tobacco. And not meth or crack either I should point out.

|

2/6/2016 8:02 AM

When you and the government divide us, that is what causes the fights, you can't ride here they can't ride there, They're drugs in every sport, there drugs in every part of the world. Instead of talking about dividing us and who is better, why not just try and do what you love and try not to worry about things you can't control or people you can't control, and try not to judge so much, look within side are you satisfied with the life you're living.

|

2/6/2016 8:03 AM

Judge not before you judge yourself

|

2/6/2016 9:14 AM

RandR_trails wrote:

Judge not before you judge yourself

I'm not judging. I was just raising a question. I don't care if people smoke or whatever, I was simply wondering why the two scenes seem so different to me.

|

2/6/2016 9:17 AM

Colin McCarthy wrote:

hate to be the one to break it to ya kid but MTB secretly stands for Must Toke Bongs

Oh really I didn't know that.

|

2/6/2016 10:50 AM

Come out to #RandR_trails we all get along and believe it or not there both mtb and bmx lol sorry for saying you where judging my friend have a positive day

|

2/6/2016 4:23 PM

Colin McCarthy wrote:

hate to be the one to break it to ya kid but MTB secretly stands for Must Toke Bongs

TrailHead wrote:

Oh really I didn't know that.



|

2/6/2016 10:37 PM

Colin McCarthy wrote:

hate to be the one to break it to ya kid but MTB secretly stands for Must Toke Bongs

TrailHead wrote:

Oh really I didn't know that.

I learn so many new ideas from you Colin. Thank you for everything you do for me, even if it is sometimes a negative experience...

|

2/7/2016 5:32 AM

I smoke ganja every day. Some don't smoke at all. Some smoke ganja sometimes. But me, I like to smoke it every day particularly when I ride my bike

|

2/7/2016 5:33 AM

Go BRONCOS!

|

3/10/2016 2:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/10/2016 2:41 PM

I've been riding BMX for 16+ years, and MTB for 5ish off and on, and I didn't let that image force me out. I chose to ride because it was fun, not because of a fear of what others might think of me. If they really think that everyone that participates in an activity is exactly the same, they aren't worth my time.

Hell, I'm 30 and STILL get told on occasion that I am "a pothead/druggie/alcoholic troublemaker" to which I usually reply "I've never smoked anything, rarely have a beer-which is perfectly legal for a 30 year old, and am out getting PHYSICAL EXERCISE while wearing a helmet and riding in a designated area for this activity. But you're right, I'm a nuisance causing all kinds of trouble."

Usually shuts them up.

In one case I was riding a skatepark on my BMX and a mom showed up with a couple skater kids who were MAYBE 15, skipping school (overheard them say so) and they lit up cigarettes upon exiting her car. She then looked at me riding at the "no bikes allowed park" (no one, including the police really care) and made sure to say bikes were not allowed and that she would call the cops. I responded with "Neither is smoking ON the park, which your underage children are currently doing, while not wearing a helmet, so I would welcome you calling the Police, so I can let them know about everything you are enabling."

She left without doing anything.

There are tons of riders in all aspects that do and don't smoke anything/drink/do drugs. It's not limited to one category. I know dudes who ride MTB mainly and they drink ALL THE TIME, and smoke pot a LOT. I know BMXers who are completely drug/alcohol/tobacco free.

Also Adam22 is not terribly clean, there are stories of him snorting coke, and whatnot, and rumors of Stevie being an alcoholic. BUT there are plenty of dudes out there in BMX that are straight edge, Karl Poynter, I think Adam Banton is as well for a couple examples.

The biggest issue is that BMXers are looked at as a nuisance because they are out in the streets, not out in the woods.

|

We should embrace the fact that we all ride bikes, and not worry about the small details. When you take riding in its most basic form, we are all the same, out there simply for the enjoyment.

3/11/2016 11:45 AM

davethebiker wrote:

I've been riding BMX for 16+ years, and MTB for 5ish off and on, and I didn't let that image force me out. I chose to ride because it was fun, not because of a fear of what others might think of me. If they really think that everyone that participates in an activity is exactly the same, they aren't worth my time.

Hell, I'm 30 and STILL get told on occasion that I am "a pothead/druggie/alcoholic troublemaker" to which I usually reply "I've never smoked anything, rarely have a beer-which is perfectly legal for a 30 year old, and am out getting PHYSICAL EXERCISE while wearing a helmet and riding in a designated area for this activity. But you're right, I'm a nuisance causing all kinds of trouble."

Usually shuts them up.

In one case I was riding a skatepark on my BMX and a mom showed up with a couple skater kids who were MAYBE 15, skipping school (overheard them say so) and they lit up cigarettes upon exiting her car. She then looked at me riding at the "no bikes allowed park" (no one, including the police really care) and made sure to say bikes were not allowed and that she would call the cops. I responded with "Neither is smoking ON the park, which your underage children are currently doing, while not wearing a helmet, so I would welcome you calling the Police, so I can let them know about everything you are enabling."

She left without doing anything.

There are tons of riders in all aspects that do and don't smoke anything/drink/do drugs. It's not limited to one category. I know dudes who ride MTB mainly and they drink ALL THE TIME, and smoke pot a LOT. I know BMXers who are completely drug/alcohol/tobacco free.

Also Adam22 is not terribly clean, there are stories of him snorting coke, and whatnot, and rumors of Stevie being an alcoholic. BUT there are plenty of dudes out there in BMX that are straight edge, Karl Poynter, I think Adam Banton is as well for a couple examples.

The biggest issue is that BMXers are looked at as a nuisance because they are out in the streets, not out in the woods.

I completely agree with you. I guess I was wrong to say that stuff. I do know that some of them aren't bad at all. But what you said about bmxers riding the streets and being a nuisance is true, most old grumpy people dont like them riding street spots.

|

3/11/2016 12:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/11/2016 12:27 PM

TrailHead wrote:

I completely agree with you. I guess I was wrong to say that stuff. I do know that some of them aren't bad at all. But what you said about bmxers riding the streets and being a nuisance is true, most old grumpy people dont like them riding street spots.

Exactly.

When I rode street and got the boot I would be respectful and leave and it seemed to confuse those who were booting me out. Sometimes I would ask if it would be ok to come back after hours (depending on the business etc of course, and how they reacted). You'd be surprised how much I got away with when I was being nice. The hard part was riding with those spazzy kids who would flip out as soon as I said "Ok we'll head out". Typically I would just tell them to shut up because I had like 100 lbs on em.

We always got the boot from the college security, and by being nice to them they would take their time getting to us, and would wait for like 4 calls about us before doing anything.

After a while we learned their rules were wheels on the ground. So wheels were on the ground when they were near, but when they left we did whatever we wanted-including quikcreting a bank into a solid flyout kicker.

|

We should embrace the fact that we all ride bikes, and not worry about the small details. When you take riding in its most basic form, we are all the same, out there simply for the enjoyment.

3/13/2016 7:04 PM

medical cannabis, oh yes. Usually just when I'm out messing around on the trails, not riding anything too intensely. hell...I even have a blog that's all about mtb and cannabis, not to mention friends and random mtb stuff. check out my bio if interested...

Don't know if the OP has had any serious crashes where you break bones, but if/when you do...cannabis and ibuprofen make an excellent, non-narcotic alternative to things like norco.

|

4/24/2016 12:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/24/2016 12:18 PM

I used to do yard work for a living. It was mostly old people. Every year one or two would kick the bucket. The ones who smoked all died at 75. The effects are obvious by the age of 50- shabby looking skin. Drive past any school and you will see teens at the smoke pit. Why is this allowed?

|

7/26/2016 1:47 PM

No drugs but weed...

|

8/26/2016 5:08 AM



I move cars when Dogs are late getting to work.
|

9/11/2016 1:01 PM

No drugs and I never accept it. But sometimes I smoke with my friend and cup of coffee)

|

9/28/2016 9:48 AM

TrailHead wrote:

Do mtb'ers smoke or do drugs? In my view mtb'ers are pretty clean dudes who like to have a drink (beer). Do any of you guys smoke? I've only seen ONE guy who smokes cigars on his ride! But BMXers in my mind, at least the newer guys, are druggies and love to smoke and stuff. That's part of the reason why I quit BMX, I don't want to be portrayed as a bad example. Why do you see so much fights with skaters and BMXers? Because most of them are all douches. I think the BMX culture is messed up. What do you guys think? What do you think about the BMX culture? I'm not talking about old school. Like adam22 and Stevie churchhill those guys are total nuts. I probably made no sense...

I've been tobacco free for 7 years now. Haven't done any recreational substances for three decades, though I did more than my share. Makes a world of difference. And, if you're already good, just imagine how much better you could have been without making the dealers and the tobacco companies rich.

|

10/3/2016 2:10 AM

rulesoferick wrote:

No drugs but weed...

I support weed as it has some good effect which allow you to increase the power of your brain thinking.

|

2/1/2017 1:20 AM

I don't smoke, I vape.

|

2/7/2017 3:44 PM



|

3/24/2017 11:50 AM

The biggest pot heads I know are mtn bikers

|

7/10/2017 3:39 PM

Smoking bad for my lungs but a edible every once in while is a good thing for this body.

|