Accessibility Widget: On | Off

Deore HG rear hub interface slop?

Create New Tag

11/25/2019 9:13 AM

I've been running an 11-46 11 speed Sunrace cassette on my Kona Process 153SE with rear Deore hub since January. No issues with shifting while mated to a KMC chain & the NX derailleur. Everything started getting wonky and not wanting to drop down to "faster" gears like from 46 to 42 & so on. Shop warrantied the derailleur and replaced the cable. I went ahead and bought a new cassette (exact same) and mid grade Sram chain.

Still exhibits the exact same issue and has gotten more dramatic when I stand on the pedals the cassette/derailleur/chain interface gets grindy. So I pulled my cassette in case I hadn't tightened it flush, but nope. It was good. But what I've noticed is play between the slotted grooves on the HG shell and the grooves in the cassette. Does the Deore HG interface actually wear out? I've worn grooves into a hub from the cassette and I've had to beat cassettes off them before, but I can wiggle this one easily. It's loose as a goose.

|

Trouble Maker. Here to spit truth in the form of sarcasm.

11/26/2019 6:25 AM

I think you need a spacer behind the cassette. They do have slop without the right spacer. Maybe theres one stuck on the back of your old cassette?

|

11/26/2019 6:34 PM

I've never heard of this issue so I can't say a whole lot.

The one thing I will say though is that there shouldn't be any play between the hub and the cassette (obviously). Generally, most hubs are specific to their cassette brand and don't need spacers but some do. I'd look into the cassette and hub to see if they mate properly.

If the cassette does have play it could also allow the whole rear wheel to wiggle back and fourth on the axle relying on nothing but your rotor to keep it properly inline. If that happens definitely don't be riding (unless you want some added repairs. Sounds crazy but I've had buddies who've had it happen).

Good luck.

|

11/26/2019 9:21 PM

seems strange to me , sound like you need a cassette spacer 1-1.5mm thick , but normally there would be a spacer if you're running a 9/10 sp cassette. Not vice versa.

|

11/26/2019 9:24 PM

You guys are thinking horizontal space along the free hub. I'm talking about the actual teeth of the free hub. I can rotate any of 3 different cassettes clockwise or counterclockwise just slightly without engaging the splines on the hub.

|

11/27/2019 12:48 AM

I know what you mean. Just sold a hope wheelset with the hope aluminium freehub body and it did the same thing. Slop clockwise and counterclockwise with an xt 11-46 cassette. Threw on the correct back spacer and tight as. Cant hurt to try it

|

11/27/2019 4:44 AM

Had the same exact issue with my Hope freehub and Sunrace 11-42 10speed cassette. You could hear it clanking back and forth while riding. Threw in a spacer and no more slop or clanking.

|

11/27/2019 7:24 AM

Try upgrading the Box components 11spd cassette

|

11/27/2019 8:10 AM

That-Norco-Dude wrote:

Try upgrading the Box components 11spd cassette

Throw money at it by putting the same cassette on it but rebranded? I'll clarify again...had an 11-42 NX cassette with zero issues. Upgraded to Sunrace 11-46 cassette with zero issues for close to 9 months. Have now replaced it with the exact same 11-46 cassette. Gonna take it to a shop and get them to check fitment of the splines on a new Deore body with my cassette. I'm pretty certain the slop is that the splines on the freehub body are worn, not any of the 3 cassettes.
Was trying to see if anyone else had ran into the same issue. Will update later this week after Turkey

|

11/27/2019 9:54 AM

My cassette/freehub spline interface had the same rotational movement. A few years ago, I swapped my Novatec hub with a Hope Pro 4; just a hub swap, same everything else and then had the cassette rotation issue. No problems prior to the hub swap. I popped in the spacer and no more movement. The spacer pinches everything together so the cassette doesn't have the ability to rotate anymore, but the spline-to-spline freeplay is still there. Its a crappy fix, because the splines still have that free space, but it worked.
I'm curious as to what the shop has to say.

|

11/28/2019 3:05 AM

Buy a complete set of enve wheels. She b ah'ight

|

11/28/2019 7:36 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/28/2019 7:36 AM

brimmergj wrote:

My cassette/freehub spline interface had the same rotational movement. A few years ago, I swapped my Novatec hub with a Hope Pro 4; just a hub swap, same everything else and then had the cassette rotation issue. No problems prior to the hub swap. I popped in the spacer and no more movement. The spacer pinches everything together so the cassette doesn't have the ability to rotate anymore, but the spline-to-spline freeplay is still there. Its a crappy fix, because the splines still have that free space, but it worked.
I'm curious as to what the shop has to say.

So the shop got hold of it and I got an email from a buddy who was a shimano rep. The spline to spline looseness they both said would cause problems like I'm having. Shop said its actually the free hub body & bearings going out. Former Shimano rep said the same. Rep helped me find the exact rebuild kit & code to order the parts but then he found a complete hub for sale on Amazon for the same price so I'm gonna pull parts out of it and toss them into mine. Will know next week if it's a fix or a patch

|