Canyon Strive or Torque??

Create New Tag

8/19/2018 8:56 AM

I'm trying to decide on getting either the Canyon Strive or Torque. 2 different frames..

Does the strive really feel like a descender with the shapeshifter set on? Some mags say its head angle is too steep to truly work yet the enduro team runs the strive not the torque...

. The torque looks amazing but may be too much for my use. I spend a lot of time riding enduro, rock and roots and still do the climbs. I'm sure the strive will climb better than the torque , just concerned the shapeshifter lacks enough of a slack head angle to be like the torque...

Please, I would prefer opinions from folks who have ridden either or both...
Thanks!

|

8/20/2018 7:22 AM

our resident schralper, jeff brines, just reviewed the Torque - https://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Bikes,3/Canyon/Torque-CF-7-0,23607#product-reviews/3287 - dig into his thoughts on the bike.

|

8/20/2018 8:26 AM

Hey Hey,

I've ridden the Strive extensively.

That frame feels a little long in the tooth. I think we will see a redesign in the near future.

The Shapeshifter, while it takes some getting used to, is pretty slick. The bike climbs surprisingly well.

On the descent, it is fine. The bike has an oddly long head tube which creates a very high and awkward front end. If you are riding some steep terrain, it almost feels like you have to look under the bars to see where you're going. Small bump compliance is pretty damn good...4-bar.

|

8/20/2018 9:12 AM

Probably we will see a new Strive for 2019. The Spectral and Torque changed this year... So, I think you need to wait for 2019 models. If the Strive change and its a bike between this other two, I thinks it is a better all around than the Torque.

|

8/20/2018 2:21 PM

I’ve a Torque, it is an amazing bike for the rough technical downhills, but I wouldn’t have thought it would be as capable as the Strive uphill. I’ve found the Rockshox Super Deluxe a bit inflexible, it’s either fully open and too soft or locked out and too stiff. Maybe swapping to something like a Fox DPX2 might be better. I think Joe Barnes is on the Torque for EWS this year with the Super Deluxe, so must be working fine for him.

|

8/20/2018 6:27 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies!
Already read the ride report by Jeff, good report!

The wife and I just spent 2 weeks vacation riding Schweitzer , Whistler, Fernie and Whitefish.
40% of the time on the hill, the other 60% was cross x. I think I'm willing to trade off some climbing ability for better downhill performance. Really don't want to wait for the 19's unless they are coming out soon.. don't really know when they are released.

So I'm thinking the Torque CF 7.0 will work for me. I'll upgrade the RockShox Lyrik RCT3 with the new 19 parts and see how the super deluxe works before looking at the Fox DPX2. I'll order one this week... stll plenty of time to ride before winter sets in... Thanks Again..

|

10/7/2018 6:59 AM

hi there dont wanna make new post so i just write it here, ...does anyone have any idea when 2019 strive models come out?
ty

|

10/7/2018 8:15 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/7/2018 8:16 AM

racerxx276 wrote:

Thanks everyone for the replies!
Already read the ride report by Jeff, good report!

The wife and I just spent 2 weeks vacation riding Schweitzer , Whistler, Fernie and Whitefish.
40% of the time on the hill, the other 60% was cross x. I think I'm willing to trade off some climbing ability for better downhill performance. Really don't want to wait for the 19's unless they are coming out soon.. don't really know when they are released.

So I'm thinking the Torque CF 7.0 will work for me. I'll upgrade the RockShox Lyrik RCT3 with the new 19 parts and see how the super deluxe works before looking at the Fox DPX2. I'll order one this week... stll plenty of time to ride before winter sets in... Thanks Again..

I missed this...

FWIW Racerxx276 I feel strongly the Rockshox Superdeluxe is a better shock than the DPX2. The Super Deluxe is more comparable to the Float X2, which is an excellent shock. Still, if I were to pick between a properly tuned Super Deluxe or a Float X2, I'd likely lean Super Deluxe. It really is a phenomenal shock with exceptional small bump and easy to tune end stroke progression. I know I'm likely alone on this one, but having tested both back to back, there are reasons I am suggesting this!

The Float X2 is a better shock if you like to play with damping, as its incredibly tunable from that standpoint, but is not going to be as progressive, even with max volume spacers. Both the Super Deluxe and Float X2 proven in EWS and WC DH.

Upgrading the Lyrik is a good call, at least the air spring

Not sure when the 19 Canyon stuff is dropping...

|