Accessibility Widget: On | Off

Commit!

Related:
Create New Tag

6/22/2012 12:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/21/2016 10:21 AM

I have been riding since 2005. I intially started out doing XC but became board with that and have in the last couple of years gotten into DH riding. I have had my fair share of injuries (broken foot/ankl on first mtb ride, broken nose, broken ankle on dh bike) It safe to say that most of these injuries have occured because of a lack of commitment and being too tense. My riding budies have told me they can detect the tenseness in my face. Last night I was trying to through a hip off a jump at the skate park and couldn't do it. Everyone said it was because I wasn't commiting to it. I guess I was commiting because I was afraid of getting hurt.

I love doing new stuff and I love the feeling I get when I progress, but lately my progression has slowed I feel like this is the main issue.

I know others have had this problem, how did you get over it?

|

6/22/2012 2:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/21/2016 10:21 AM

practice is your friend i would say. the more comfortable you get on your bike, the less you'll tense up in new situations. you'll also gain experience and confidence handling situations you don't expect. eventually a lot of movements on the bike will become second nature.

i tried brakeless at the skatepark a few years ago. i rode the same park often and knew it well, so there was a comfort level. it was a pretty awesome experience because i'd find myself in situations where i would have probably braked in the past, but now i couldn't. i'd be forced to commit to what i was going into. it was nothing insane, but personally i gained confidence and was often surprised that i was still on two wheels. not really applicable to DH, but there are subtle ways to 'force' yourself into situations.

|

7/10/2012 9:55 AM

"Hesitation leads to devastation"

|