4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

Participating Members

Tips for Minimzing the Rat's Nest?

5/13/2013 10:48 AM

do you all have any tips for organizing cables on modern trail and enduro bikes that have remotes all over the place? don't say ride a rigid singlespeed coaster brake bike either haha.

5/13/2013 11:01 AM

I zip tie my rear brake and shifter cable together and run them both at even lengths across the head tube. run 1x10 and get a super clean setup.

flickr.com/learmiller
learmillerphoto.com
facebook.com/learmiller

5/13/2013 11:03 AM

I run 1x9 and no droper. Simple and clean

5/13/2013 11:14 AM

1. make sure all hoses and cables are cut to almost average length of each other. for most single crown forks try steering your bike 1.5 turns to see if cables/hoses wont get pulled out from fittings.
2. look for cable wrap from electrical/electronics store can also provide extra protection or just zip ties.
3. color code or color match with frame/handle bar color so cables/hose will blend with frame color. & Bike Bling +1
4. sorry but get 1x10 setup with 34 crank, 11-36 casette & forks/shock without remote lock, learn to tune it properly and compromise with fitness, less things to worry about in the long run. if your in the heat of racing you will forget about it anyway. always safer to climb squishy bike than to descend with stiff bike.

from what i understand about enduro is to make your bike mechanically reliable after you get fit.

Goodluck...

5/13/2013 12:08 PM

Like PaucH said, if you cut your cables and hoses so that they are all around the same length it helps a lot in keeping your bars looking clean. I try to keep cables so that they run parallel from the shifter/brake lever/remote into their guides in the frame.

I also run a 1x10 setup with a dropper. No lockouts or CTD remotes, so it stays pretty clean.

5/13/2013 1:04 PM

Adding to the cables that are similar length, you can tape the cables together for a span to give more of a "one cable" look.

Black tape for black cables, etc.

Black cables for black frames help camouflage the cables a bit.

P

5/13/2013 1:21 PM

this guy has it figured out http://www.vitalmtb.com/community/Mihai,359/setup,19302 i like that little connecter dealy that holds the break cable to the other one

5/13/2013 2:12 PM

Not super picky about how it is looking as long as it's riding well. I go ghetto and put electrical tape around shift to brake cables + the dropper.

5/13/2013 4:15 PM

1X10 has changed my life. I don't know how I will go back to a 2x.

Also, the underside remote mount for the reverb is pretty slick.

I don't quite understand the need for remote changing of CTD settings. I haven't ever really found the need for high speed changes on the fly.

Any other cables needing love get cut to size, and I will even throw in a zip to get them cleaner.

5/13/2013 4:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/13/2013 4:27 PM

Rafa Gamas wrote: I run 1x9 and no droper. Simple and clean

amen to that. i do the same. no CTD or lock out remotes either - three cables total. super clean. keeps the complete bike weight down too. like PaucH said above, if you're racing you wont realize anyway.

5/14/2013 1:37 AM

Jagwire S hooks on my SB

best advice........ shorten your cables first.

5/14/2013 6:11 AM

OCsponger587 wrote: this guy has it figured out http://www.vitalmtb.com/community/Mihai,359/setup,19302 i like that little connecter dealy that holds the break cable to the other one

That is pretty sweet, how did he wrap/what did he use to wrap his shifter and rear brake into one?

5/14/2013 9:50 AM

it looks like heat shrink tubing to me.

5/14/2013 10:06 AM

Big Bird wrote: it looks like heat shrink tubing to me.

Thanks pal, ordered some that looks genius to me!

5/14/2013 8:16 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/14/2013 8:18 PM

I used a heat shink tube just like Moga. Works great and looks clean.

5/14/2013 8:35 PM

kyle10bike wrote:

I used a heat shink tube just like Moga. Works great and looks clean.

dialed

5/20/2013 3:10 PM

here's mine with a 2x9 set-up and a dropper post

Before

After

I really want to use the heat shrink tube but it's gonna be a lot of work that's why I ended up using an electrical tape.
Not as clean as the heat shrink tube but does the job ok.
I'm running 2x9 set-up. I combined the front derailleur and dropper post cables then the rear derailleur and the rear brake hose.

Tips
Just be creative in using your cable mounts and arrangement of your cables.
No need to use all cable mounts.
You can bundle your cables with ziptie. Just don't lock it too tight.
Post a Reply to: Tips for Minimzing the Rat's Nest?

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm