freestyle cruisers like the Model C?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/14/2011 8:53 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/14/2011 8:59 AM

cool interview with Jim C about his Sunday model C on espn

interview link

have any of you guys tried a bike like this out? seems like a fun medium between a 20 and a mtn bike.

photo by sandy carson for espn

|

2/14/2011 9:19 AM

Yea! I love 24's. But not in pure BMX form. Back in the late 90's,I used to race slalom on a Bontrager cruiser with a single crown DHO a five speeds in the back. Later, I was lucky enough to be involved with the guys at Namaiki before Poser Brad killed the company in the U.S. It's an awesome, stout, 24" street and park frame. Perhaps the first 24" frame with MTB Geometry. I really need to figure out how to send pictures.

|

2/14/2011 9:48 AM

Big Bird wrote:

Yea! I love 24's. But not in pure BMX form. Back in the late 90's,I used to race slalom on a Bontrager cruiser with a single crown DHO a five speeds in the back. Later, I was lucky enough to be involved with the guys at Namaiki before Poser Brad killed the company in the U.S. It's an awesome, stout, 24" street and park frame. Perhaps the first 24" frame with MTB Geometry. I really need to figure out how to send pictures.

I was riding a DSS that was built for 24's in the mid 90's. Gus started making MTB with 24's in the 80's...

I used to race 24" back in the day for Torker. I have been on a few 24" freestyle bikes (Fit, Haro, KHE). I really am a 20 guy at heart so I found this to be a better fit for me now. I rode one at Ranchstyle...so sick! 22"!

I will be trying out Plus Size's Model C when I can though...

|

Lance

2/14/2011 11:08 AM

i ride a liquid feeback frame and i love it. I have tested alot of the cruisers and by far its the best. although i hear the new wave c will beat all

|

2/14/2011 11:41 AM

I really loved my Mirraco 20Forty. I bought a 20" right before it to make me smoother on my mtb, but all it did was kick my ass. The 24" was comfortable right off the showroom floor, and I like to think it made me a better mtb rider. I rode that thing as my commuter/dirt jumper/street rig for three years without replacing a single part. Cruisers aren't just for old guys! They are economical do-everything bikes.

|

Ass Ass Ass

2/14/2011 2:28 PM

I still have a Torker Pro 24" / torker rigid fork, with flight cranks, ACS Z rims+hubs, TuF Neck stem, Comp 3 tires... I got this in 1984 just as I switched from full time BMX to skateboarding. The bike wasn't used that much but it's still as fun as ever. I ride it to the store with my nephew and show him all the tree root jumps on the way. I would bet the modern dirt jump bikes are way better feeling though. I always look at Dans Comp wishing they made more 24 race style bmx frames. That was the shit back in the 80s the track every weekend. On the track it was 20" Panda, GHP, GT, CW... Awesome days!

|

2/14/2011 7:51 PM

IJB wrote:

I still have a Torker Pro 24" / torker rigid fork, with flight cranks, ACS Z rims+hubs, TuF Neck stem, Comp 3 tires... I got this in 1984 just as I switched from full time BMX to skateboarding. The bike wasn't used that much but it's still as fun as ever. I ride it to the store with my nephew and show him all the tree root jumps on the way. I would bet the modern dirt jump bikes are way better feeling though. I always look at Dans Comp wishing they made more 24 race style bmx frames. That was the shit back in the 80s the track every weekend. On the track it was 20" Panda, GHP, GT, CW... Awesome days!

We have the 4130 Subway Series ride here in L.A., and you wouldn't believe some of the cruisers out on the ride. Everyone brings out their old school BMX bikes, and we haul ass from Hollywood to Downtown L.A.. There were probably over 100 24" cruisers out this past Saturday... some real sexy beasts.

|

Ass Ass Ass

2/15/2011 8:10 AM

I ride a 24" specific NS Suburban with an Argyle 318 and a Chromag OSX bar (minues 1").

GREAT bike, super nimble but still stable enough to get loose on... I can't say enough about it. The little guy absolutely rips up the pumptrack and laps up the dirt jumps. Really nimble, but stable enough that I've even downhilled at our local hill with it a few times! Wild times with K-rads and one brake on the trails.

One of my best weekends of riding ever was tearing through COP on my mini bike. Perfect for ripping all those tight, twisty turns.

|

The MTB paradigm:

ride (build+maintain) = a sh!tload of fun.

"Too weird to live... too rare to die" (H. Thompson)

2/15/2011 8:11 AM

Just sold my cruiser, it was a blast to ride. Once I got better at riding it i knew i needed a 20.

|

2/15/2011 8:16 AM

|

2/15/2011 8:57 AM

kyle10bike wrote:

Just sold my cruiser, it was a blast to ride. Once I got better at riding it i knew i needed a 20.

What 20 did you end up going with? Nice video tour of Clement, Redstone...

|

Lance

2/15/2011 10:18 AM

MTB R&D wrote:

What 20 did you end up going with? Nice video tour of Clement, Redstone...

2011 Eastern Growler! I'm lovin' it!

|

2/15/2011 2:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/15/2011 2:05 PM

oh yes - very rare here in germany but i own one.
it´s an old-school bontrager B29

|

2/15/2011 2:10 PM

awesome, german-kraut!

|

2/15/2011 6:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/16/2011 6:25 AM

Yaa, I love my 24" Haro for bike park days with the kids. Cross training for the 4X/DS days.

|

2/15/2011 7:54 PM

Devils in the details. If you buy a stock complete bike you have to check geometry and spec.. Just like on a mountain bike. If you get a cheaper stock bike you will end up with SHORT top tube and lesser quality components, and probably crap frame material. So do your research. You get what you pay for! Standard Byke Co. Made in Iowa!

|

2/17/2011 8:13 AM

Spomer I used to rock a parkpre 24 when I was 11 and 12. it was my dads and it was just before I got a mtn bike. I rode it to school everyday and one day at lunch I found out it got stolen... I cried the rest of lunch not only because I got my favorite bike stolen but it was also my dads bike. That was one of the worst days ever. but I guess you could say that was the day the transition to mtb started because that was the next bike I bought. whoa. never thought about it like that before... trippin right now.

|

2/17/2011 9:16 AM

jamie, that story is both sad and awesome. had your bike not been stolen, we may have never seen you in the mtb world...that woulda sucked.

|

2/18/2011 10:15 PM

I ride a free agent devil 24

Just change the handlebars for a Eighties Glam 7.4" of rise

the fork is a real shit, the rest all good

|