Wireless shifting being tested!

xyian
Posts
93
Joined
11/14/2013
Location
USA
Edited Date/Time 1/14/2015 3:22pm
When XTR Di2 was announced I thought it was cool but immediately thought about how cool it would be if it were wireless.
Looks like SRAM is working on that on the road. Granted, it would be about 20 years before it goes to x9/XT levels but one can dream. In the NorthWet it would be ideal!

http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/01/14/sram-wireless-electronic-road-group…

Am I the only one thinking this is a great idea? Yeah yeah...batteries and such but cables are a pain as well.
|
tmano2
Posts
111
Joined
3/17/2012
Location
Porto, PT
1/14/2015 1:55pm
For casual riding for sure. For racing it will be fun to see people drive train haked
sspomer
Posts
6529
Joined
6/26/2009
Location
Boise, ID, USA
Fantasy
1/14/2015 2:45pm
agreed, i think it's rad and has to be the future.

can you imagine the security on top TDF riders' systems? some spectator w/ a phone on the side of the road dropping the leader into a super hard gear during a climbling battle : )
xyian
Posts
93
Joined
11/14/2013
Location
USA
1/14/2015 3:22pm
I would think if they're testing this on ProTour teams that the communications are locked down by this point. I'm curious as to how it communicates....wifi...bluetooth...some other protocol? In my mind all kinds of stuff could communicate on the same system(look at ANT+) and link in things like your bike computer, HR info, power info, etc...

Post a reply to: Wireless shifting being tested!

The Latest