Tool Kits

rusty
What do people keep in the car in the way of mini tool kits and what do you stash them in?

I'm thinking along the lines of this, maybe in a tool roll:

Pliers
Allen/hex keys
Torx keys
Master link pliers
Chain tool
Valve core tool
Shock pump
Cable cutters/side cutters
Floor pump

Anything else you think it'd be worth having?

Show us pictures of what you've got.
|
Sir HC
8/13/2020 12:56pm
This goes in the car:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BzJPwgSngem/
(Peli 1500 Case)

Allen Keys
Torx Keys
Abbey Chain Whip & Cassette Tool
Top Cap Sockets
Shock Pump
Pliers
Cable Cutters
Flush Cuts
Spoke Keys
Spoke Wrench
Chain Tool
Bearing Press Kit
Loctite
Brake Syringes
BB Tool (BSA, DUB & Hope)
3/8 Drive Wrench
DU Bush Tool
Box of spare bits (bolts, fittings, hose ends, etc)
Cable Ties
Gear cable
Torque Wrench (Cranks)

Kit bag then has a chain & mech

Will redo the box at some point to put 3 layers in, move the tools around a bit, some are in the wrong place and should be on the top deck or in the lid and vice versa.
rusty
8/13/2020 1:35pm Edited Date/Time 8/13/2020 1:58pm
Looks sharp! It's a deep hole to go down, though. I guess when your kit is so portable like that, it's easy just to sling everything in? I'd be scared to leave too nice a tool kit in the car in an isolated car park in case it got nicked! šŸ˜¬

I've kinda been thinking maybe a hanger tool would be an idea, but then just a replacement hanger is cheaper. I've got a spare Crombie (Abbey stuff's beautiful, eh?!) that I could chuck in there, but kinda can't see the point. I'm not sure I could see myself bleeding brakes in a car park without a workstand... I like the idea of having the ability to mess around with suspension and volume spacers but I barely have enough time to ride, let alone tune my suspension šŸ˜‚
dolface
8/13/2020 2:51pm
rusty wrote:
What do people keep in the car in the way of mini tool kits and what do you stash them in? I'm thinking along the lines...
What do people keep in the car in the way of mini tool kits and what do you stash them in?

I'm thinking along the lines of this, maybe in a tool roll:

Pliers
Allen/hex keys
Torx keys
Master link pliers
Chain tool
Valve core tool
Shock pump
Cable cutters/side cutters
Floor pump

Anything else you think it'd be worth having?

Show us pictures of what you've got.
I have what you listed plus:

Chain lube and a rag
Small container of sealant
Torque wrench
Spare cleats and screws
Pedal pins and pin wrench
Disposable gloves

I keep it all in an early version of the Soul Run tool roll: http://soulrun.com/products/pro-mechanics-tool-roll/
Sir HC
8/14/2020 7:54am
rusty wrote:
Looks sharp! It's a deep hole to go down, though. I guess when your kit is so portable like that, it's easy just to sling everything...
Looks sharp! It's a deep hole to go down, though. I guess when your kit is so portable like that, it's easy just to sling everything in? I'd be scared to leave too nice a tool kit in the car in an isolated car park in case it got nicked! šŸ˜¬

I've kinda been thinking maybe a hanger tool would be an idea, but then just a replacement hanger is cheaper. I've got a spare Crombie (Abbey stuff's beautiful, eh?!) that I could chuck in there, but kinda can't see the point. I'm not sure I could see myself bleeding brakes in a car park without a workstand... I like the idea of having the ability to mess around with suspension and volume spacers but I barely have enough time to ride, let alone tune my suspension šŸ˜‚
Its insured and I prefer to have everything I need to build my bike in one box, rather than split between a tool chest tool roll.

Hanger tool lives at home, its a park one, so super heavy.
Jon_Angieri
8/16/2020 8:11am
Sir HC wrote:
This goes in the car: https://www.instagram.com/p/BzJPwgSngem/ (Peli 1500 Case) Allen Keys Torx Keys Abbey Chain Whip & Cassette Tool Top Cap Sockets Shock Pump Pliers Cable...
This goes in the car:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BzJPwgSngem/
(Peli 1500 Case)

Allen Keys
Torx Keys
Abbey Chain Whip & Cassette Tool
Top Cap Sockets
Shock Pump
Pliers
Cable Cutters
Flush Cuts
Spoke Keys
Spoke Wrench
Chain Tool
Bearing Press Kit
Loctite
Brake Syringes
BB Tool (BSA, DUB & Hope)
3/8 Drive Wrench
DU Bush Tool
Box of spare bits (bolts, fittings, hose ends, etc)
Cable Ties
Gear cable
Torque Wrench (Cranks)

Kit bag then has a chain & mech

Will redo the box at some point to put 3 layers in, move the tools around a bit, some are in the wrong place and should be on the top deck or in the lid and vice versa.
I like how you did yours. I have a Pelican Storm case that Iā€™m going to turn into a tool box. How did you mount the stuff on the lid? (Wooden part)
Sir HC
8/17/2020 12:26am
Used M3 button head screws and nyloc nuts, the nuts are on the tool side. I've got a sheet of plastic when I redo the layout. The sheet of mdf is then mounted to the lid with 4 m5 bolts, probably a bit overkill!

Post a reply to: Tool Kits

The Latest