The Drones Are Coming

Related:
Create New Tag

1/26/2016 12:13 PM

Without wanting to drone on too much about the pesky little buggers popping up everywhere, the fact is, the pesky little buggers ARE popping up everywhere! And not only do these things fly around and capture cool footage, but they are getting increasingly sophisticated too. Apart from the well-established "prosumer" or pro-grade drones like DJI's Phantom and Inspire, a bunch of new tech is out to make drones more autonomous and even easier to use. As if people weren't taking enough selfies already, now you can get a drone that fits in your handbag, is controlled by your smartphone, and can fly across the table to shoot you, your friends, and your epic machiatto frappees. Instagram may never be the same again:

If that seems a little too good to be true, Intel is working on decidedly heavier hardware...:

And let's not forget Lily, the crowdfunded drone that knows how to film you by itself, and can even land in water and take off again:

What do you think? Would you get one? Cool evolution of technology, or would you rather NOT have any drones buzzing about next time you rip down A-Line?
|

1/26/2016 12:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/26/2016 12:39 PM

While the footage and video quality of drones are amazing, the cost and availability becoming mainstream accessible is an issue. Most ski resorts have or are going to ban them on the slopes. Imagine 800 of these little bastards buzzing around in a crowd of 1500 people... I'm all for making some great memories and catching it on film but (time and place) along with common sense. Don't f-up my ride so your Chinese camera can float around you and your buddies playing a game of grab-ass.

|

1/26/2016 1:29 PM

Next level for selfie Vital One Lap

|

1/26/2016 2:59 PM

My friends getting a Lily...interested to see how it works

|

1/26/2016 3:11 PM

Fuck no. Have you heard these things! They almost drown out the Led Zep blaring on my Jaybird's. when I am shredding on my E-bike.

|

1/26/2016 3:19 PM

If riding ever gets too hard, there's always drone racing.

|

1/26/2016 8:22 PM

HalfAssedCyclist wrote:

While the footage and video quality of drones are amazing, the cost and availability becoming mainstream accessible is an issue. Most ski resorts have or are going to ban them on the slopes. Imagine 800 of these little bastards buzzing around in a crowd of 1500 people... I'm all for making some great memories and catching it on film but (time and place) along with common sense. Don't f-up my ride so your Chinese camera can float around you and your buddies playing a game of grab-ass.

@halfasswannabecyclist - Don't trip fool. You'd be lucky if any of those 800 drones are filming your half ass wannabe snow boogie crusader shredding on the bunny slopes. Lol. You'd most likely get b* slapped by an elf before a drone ever crashes into you. Toodles!

|

1/27/2016 5:11 AM

Well...like you said...they are coming. All this technology (phones, cameras, drones, gps) makes me yearn for a time when there was no technology, but we can't turn back the hands of time...so like all technology, we just need to use them wisely. Of course, since we're humans and never do that very well...I'd say get prepared for these shit things to be clogging the airspace sometime soon....

|

1/27/2016 6:45 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/27/2016 7:37 AM

HalfAssedCyclist wrote:

trailninja wrote:

@halfasswannabecyclist - Don't trip fool. You'd be lucky if any of those 800 drones are filming your half ass wannabe snow boogie crusader shredding on the bunny slopes. Lol. You'd most likely get b* slapped by an elf before a drone ever crashes into you. Toodles!

I'll be riding instead of playing with a remote control toy purchased at a mall kiosk. At the end of your day "Hucking the gnar" and getting your 5 minutes of video uploaded, I'll be sitting in the chalet with a scotch after putting in several runs down the mountain and being with friends. You just stick to having your face buried in your Instagram and being a keyboard "ninja"

Oh your mommy called, she said the suns going down and to get home and take out the trash. Carry on BRO...

|

2/9/2016 6:24 PM

ok, so the follow me drone needs internet connection to follow u??

i'm confused.....

|

2/10/2016 12:20 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/10/2016 12:21 PM

HalfAssedCyclist wrote:

trailninja wrote:

HalfAssedCyclist wrote:

I'll be riding instead of playing with a remote control toy purchased at a mall kiosk. At the end of your day "Hucking the gnar" and getting your 5 minutes of video uploaded, I'll be sitting in the chalet with a scotch after putting in several runs down the mountain and being with friends. You just stick to having your face buried in your Instagram and being a keyboard "ninja"

Oh your mommy called, she said the suns going down and to get home and take out the trash. Carry on BRO...

Your mommy called to let you know that "when you are trying" to lampoon someone the "use of quotation marks" only works if it's something "that the person" has actually said.

"Get the point?"

|

2/10/2016 12:40 PM

thedeathstar wrote:

Your mommy called to let you know that "when you are trying" to lampoon someone the "use of quotation marks" only works if it's something "that the person" has actually said.

"Get the point?"

You're obviously not an SNL fan..

|