Replacement Swingarm Pivot Bolt

Matt_B_#57
Edited Date/Time 11/9/2020 10:52am
Hi All,
So I recently picked up a used 2019 Scott Genius 910 and it had some pretty audible creaking noises from the swingarm area any time the suspension would compress and rebound. I decided it would be a good idea to take out all the pivot bolts, give them a good wipe down and reinstall with some good water resistent grease. While I was doing this, I noticed the 79mm swingarm pivot bolt (not sure of the technical term) was cracked through the threads and needs to be replaced (see pics below). I searched all over the interwebs and cannot seem to find just this part, I can only find rebuild kits like those found on Bike24. Does anyone know where I can find just the swingarm pivot that is available in the states? Are aftermarket options available for something slightly stronger than stock? I appreciate the weight savings but I could not believe how light and thin the aluminum pivot is considering the load it is subjected to.

Side note, I ended up spinning the Torx bit in the pivot before I even hit 177in-lbs of torque (not shown in photo). I researched this as well and apparently it's pretty common that these pivots will not hold up to the recommended torque printed on the bolts so I just wanted to add my name to the long list of failures!

Update: As suggested by jfkusa, I reached out to Scott and they have responded and will be shipping me a new swingarm pivot. Thanks for the suggestion!

|
jfkusa
11/5/2020 11:33am
Reach out to Scott directly. The bike is still pretty new so they almost definitely have parts.
Big Bird
11/5/2020 1:04pm
What a weird break. My brain can't quite wrap around how a thread could split like that when threaded in. It must have been a really sloppy fit to start with to allow that expansion.
Matt_B_#57
11/6/2020 9:28am
jfkusa wrote:
Reach out to Scott directly. The bike is still pretty new so they almost definitely have parts.
I reached out to them this morning, we'll see if they respond. Thanks for the tip!
Matt_B_#57
11/6/2020 9:33am
Big Bird wrote:
What a weird break. My brain can't quite wrap around how a thread could split like that when threaded in. It must have been a really...
What a weird break. My brain can't quite wrap around how a thread could split like that when threaded in. It must have been a really sloppy fit to start with to allow that expansion.
Yeah, I wouldn't have suspected something like this could happen either. Maybe it was taken out previously and over torqued when installed, subjecting it to a large static load?

Post a reply to: Replacement Swingarm Pivot Bolt

The Latest