Accessibility Widget: On | Off

Helmet vs bar mount headlights?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/26/2014 9:00 AM

I am looking to do some single track night time MTB riding in central Jersey. It's pretty rough between the stumps, roots and rocks. Trails are narrow with some decent inclines/declines. What do you guys use/recommend? So far I am looking at the nightrider 2200 and glowworm comparable version. Am I better off with a bar mounted, helmet mounted or both. Looking to stay under $300. I have found the nightrider 2200 for $260 shipped. Thanks. Dave

|

10/26/2014 10:50 AM

Hey Dave. I've found that helmet mount is the best way to go. Your bars are surprisingly rarely pointed where you're looking. The ideal is one on the helmet, one on the bars. Perhaps look into Magic Shine lights. They're much more affordable, and you could likely get two of their more powerful models for the price of one Night Rider. I have two MJ808 lights and it's almost like riding in daylight.

|

10/26/2014 12:42 PM

I tried to run bar mounted light by itself and took a blind boulder roller/drop and planted my front wheel where I last remember the good line was. I painfully discovered that the line was very recently re-made to be easier to roll with a neatly stacked ramp of rocks. Apparently the rock I was aiming for was moved, used for the remake, and basically I dropped my wheel down about 2.5 feet, resulting in an OTB splat that knocked the wind out of me. The light didn't shine on it, obviously, as it goes up a boulder and down the backside of it, so it points up and then level with a sudden drop after that.

|

10/26/2014 9:43 PM

I highly recommend 2 lights. I ran the MagicShine for a season and still keep it around as a loaner, it has never failed! However I really like the white lighting of the NiteRider products. I would recommend a minimum of around 1400 lumens between bars and head, with the larger light on the head. The Lumina series by NR are self contained, cheap and I really like the mounts.

|

10/27/2014 7:54 AM

buy too of these link

both and sold a few of them, strong light at a low price, been runing mine fo a year and it's line new, recomend if you only use one on the helmet or complement it with one on the handlbar

|

11/4/2014 6:43 PM

I am going to go with the Nite Rider pro 2200 and the lumina 770.

|

11/8/2014 4:57 AM

tmano2 wrote:

buy too of these link

both and sold a few of them, strong light at a low price, been runing mine fo a year and it's line ...more

I just bought two of these guys and have yet to use them. How long will they last on a trail ride. I'm usually out for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

|

11/8/2014 6:38 AM

tmano2 wrote:

buy too of these link

both and sold a few of them, strong light at a low price, been runing mine fo a year and it's line ...more

jij0226 wrote:

I just bought two of these guys and have yet to use them. How long will they last on a trail ride. I'm usually out for 1 1/2 ...more

it depend's on the mode that you use them, but i think for that time even on the more powerfull mode it ihas enought battery for that

|

11/8/2014 8:50 AM

jij0226 wrote:

I just bought two of these guys and have yet to use them. How long will they last on a trail ride. I'm usually out for 1 1/2 ...more

If you use a dim mode while climbing, you'll save some battery for the descents.

|