Getting Onto a DH Team

Edited Date/Time 8/17/2014 6:39pm
Just a few quick questions.
what do you have to do to get onto one of the downhill teams out there? What do you have to do to get them to pick you?
How do you get noticed by a team? to sum it up basically, What are the steps of getting onto a top DH team from start to finish?
Thanks For all Of your help!
Cheers,
-D
|
3/12/2014 2:16pm
1. Results
2. Media exposure
The best example I can think of in recent times is Rémy Métailler:
He made some of the sickest edits ever, and had decent results at the BC Cups and Phat Wednesdays series.
Now Commencal picked him up for their new world cup team, before he even had the required 20 uci points
coralcorn
3/12/2014 3:05pm
"Rule #700: Quit trying to get sponsors" Truth is if you ride your bike and ride your bike well, and can display a positive image for the sport through media and just being a good guy when your out there and at the races. Then you will get the attention of these teams and companies..

3/12/2014 3:35pm
sounds good!
thanks for the answers guys! that really clears things up! i guess if you just go ride hard and have a good attitude that will get you on the team. I agree that Remy has made some absolute sick edits and he deserves to be on that team.
Thanks again!
retrospecs
4/30/2014 11:26pm
Hey there,

I used to race on different german national downhill teams and retired in 2012. I'm since then team manager of the PROPAIN factory racing team. Here are some advice how I got on teams in the past and how you would probably get team managers like me to notice you:

1. Media coverage
Try to get as much media coverage as you can. The best way to do this is by finding some upcoming photographer or filmer and just go shoot with them on a regular base. Produce great shoots and edits and upload them constantly on every mtb website out there.

2. Steady good results

Race as much as you can and get descent results. Improve your results throughout the seasons. (I usually require results of three full racing seasons from each team applicant to get a good view on their dedication and improvements.)

3. Get know people
Try to get to know as much racers, team managers, organizers, etc. at the races and stay in touch with them! Keep them informed about your media coverage, your results, your improvements, etc.. This is most important!

Those three advices don't guarantee you a spot on a team, but they increase your chances to be noticed by a team. Once you are noticed it is up to you and your results to stand up to other applicants. It usually takes hard work and a couple of years to finally get a spot on team! So be patient and don't push to hard. The story of Rémy Métailler is an exceptional case...

I hope those advices help you. Good luck at the races!!

Cheers,
David
FCTRY
5/10/2014 11:29pm
Unfortunately some of the advice from our European friends comes from places where the sport is not languishing quite so badly.

It all depends on the level where you're going to end up. Most mid level pro teams these days are basically just collections of friends who have a few sponsors. Below that are bike shop teams, which basically anyone can be on, they're more or less just discount clubs. The reason a bike shop will give you that discount is to make sure you don't buy stuff elsewhere. Not saying it's a bad thing or you shouldn't do it, just saying that your results don't mean much in most of those cases, wear your jersey and don't be a d-bag and that's about all you need. Real pro teams, of which there are very few, basically require you to be one of the 6 or so best downhillers in the country.

My advice... forget about it completely, just ride your bike as much and as quickly as you can and be friendly to people at the races. Like I said, most programs are pretty informal now, owing to the fact that real support has all but dried up outside of the highest levels.

Post a reply to: Getting Onto a DH Team

The Latest