Accessibility Widget: On | Off

Clipless vs flat

Related:
Create New Tag

9/6/2015 8:55 PM

I currently ride stupid flat pedals. They are plastic and have no grip. When I ride, my foot keeps on slipping off, or if there are bumps, my foot jumps off. I'm sick of this! I really want to go clipless! I'm just kinda scared, the trails I ride are super narrow, and I have to take my feet off a lot to not fall. Will this be bad with clipless? But yea, I will go clipless! Do you guys ride flats or clipless? And I will be going with shimano spd m540 pedals I think.

|

9/6/2015 11:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/6/2015 11:35 PM

sounds like your flats suck and you've made up your mind to go clippy pedals even though you don't have the balance to comfortably ride with both feet up. I recommend getting some decent flats and sticky rubber shoes first, then graduate to clips as your skillz improve.

|

9/7/2015 7:09 AM

Colin McCarthy wrote:

sounds like your flats suck and you've made up your mind to go clippy pedals even though you don't have the balance to ...more

I wouldn't say my balance sucks, the trails are so narrow sometimes my tires clip the walls of the trail. Plus there is a lot of pedaling and climbing there, so I wanna see if it is going to be better. Maybe I'll think about this a little more. I'll consider new flats...

|

9/7/2015 4:00 PM

I'm not saying your balance sucks, you said "the trails I ride are super narrow, and I have to take my feet off a lot to not fall" which is a problem that a lot of folks have. It can be overcome as you acquire the necessary skillz and balance, It took me a few years to get comfortable and confident on very narrow or rutted singletrack without removing my feet to stay balanced and hold a line, 'specially when it's greasy. Right now your "stupid flat pedals, with no grip" are the problem. you could be the best rider in the world, but without a good foothold, you'll always suffer from the same issues. Clip-less pedals are great if you have knee problems (they have float!) but they can also cause knee problems (from "pulling" on the pedal in the upstroke) and if you race and have loads of experience and good technique learned from riding flats (bunnyhoppin', heal droppin' and a proper pedaling technique) they can provide marginal gains. Most people I've seen that never learned to ride flats have poor technique and are constantly relying on their clipped in feet to move the bike around, instead of weight transfers and riding smoothly. There is a lot of great scientific data that backs up the fact that flats are just as efficient for pedaling as clips. The benefit to clips is that your foot is always in the same position when it's time to lay down the power, and they can make very rough descents more controlled for some. Riding flats with benefit your core strength more (great for your back) and also takes no twisting to remove your foot. After a few thousand times clipping in and out, you can pretty much get your feet on and off as quick, but you still can have trouble getting back into the clip sometimes when the terrain is rough. Everyone eats shit learning to use them. I had more problems climbing tight, technical singletrack at first after switching to clips, eating shit many times going uphill, DH was no issue. If you duke it out and learn to rip on flats, you'll thank me later. Cheers to you for asking a good question and remember, it's all about the smiles to miles ratio wink PS please don't make the mistake of buying a flat sole clippy shoe thinking it will work well with both, they won't. Plenty of 5-10's are up for sale all the time online and on their website here http://shopfiveten.com/C-44/Bike , my favorites for trail riding are the Freerider Elements http://shopfiveten.com/P-5111110/Freeider-Vxi-Elements--Dawn-Blue--Pewter.aspx which will keep your feet happy 'cause they won't soak up water like a sponge. Hope this helps!

|

9/8/2015 11:19 AM

sorry man i already ordered clipless shoes and pedals haha! i want to try em out, and see if i like em. ill report straight back here when i try em out lol. thanks for the advice though, maybe i will buy new flats too. why is it harder to climb in clipless shoes? i ordered giro carbide shoes and shimano m530s. and about the local trials at my place there are some not as narrow

|

9/8/2015 2:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/8/2015 2:10 PM

TrailHead wrote:

sorry man i already ordered clipless shoes and pedals haha! i want to try em out, and see if i like em. ill report straight ...more

When you first get your clipless setup on the bike, get on your bike in a hallway or somewhere where you can hold yourself up by a wall or counter, while on the bike. Practice clipping and unclipping while holding yourself up. Best to do this before you even test ride your new setup outside the house or shop.

You're almost guaranteed to fall from not unclipping in time, without practicing.

It's hard to climb, at first, with clips because on slow, technical climbs you often have to take a foot off to prevent a slow speed tip-over. When you're clipped in and new to it, that quick moment where you'd normally just lift your foot to dab becomes a moment of panic as you slowly fall to the ground, still attached to your bike.. haha.

|

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

9/8/2015 2:36 PM

FredLikesTrikes wrote:

When you first get your clipless setup on the bike, get on your bike in a hallway or somewhere where you can hold yourself up ...more

Ok I will practice it like 61 times before going out in public. Actually I'll just do it in my backyard, so if I fall, no one will see haha! Thanks

|

9/10/2015 8:42 PM

I got my shoes and pedals! I rode them today, and did good. Did fall once though. Unclipped left side, but leaned to the right, and you can guess what happened next haha!

|

9/11/2015 3:31 PM

TrailHead wrote:

I got my shoes and pedals! I rode them today, and did good. Did fall once though. Unclipped left side, but leaned to the ...more

Happens to everyone while they're learning. Good on you for giving it a go.

|

9/11/2015 6:40 PM

It took me three proper fall over in front of the world at a stoplight crashes before I got the hang of it. But once you do, it's amazing how quickly your body will just do it without thinking about it. Instinct that is.

|

9/12/2015 3:45 AM

*struggles on the trail*
*asks for advice*
*gets advice*
*ignores all advice, gets out wallet and does stupid thing that only makes everything worse*
*posts about how new thing is so much better, uses "haha" a lot*

|

9/12/2015 12:17 PM

scarface wrote:

*struggles on the trail*
*asks for advice*
*gets advice*
*ignores all advice, gets out wallet and does stupid thing that only ...more

So? You got a problem? It all comes down to personal preference. I made the decision for myself, I just wanted to see what others would say. So what if I use "haha"? Why are you so butthurt?

|

9/12/2015 12:24 PM

scarface wrote:

*struggles on the trail*
*asks for advice*
*gets advice*
*ignores all advice, gets out wallet and does stupid thing that only ...more

- Good definition of an Askhole

|

9/12/2015 12:35 PM

Colin McCarthy wrote:

- Good definition of an Askhole

What's an askhole?

|

9/13/2015 5:36 PM

UPDATE: I actually made the decision to go flats now. After reading a thread that clipless ruins knees and back, and I already have not-so-great knees and back! I hope I sell my clipless shoes and pedals. Or maybe even return them hopefully. do I really NEED 5.10 shoes, or will I be ok without them?

|

9/13/2015 6:58 PM

nah man, crocs work just fine

|

9/13/2015 8:09 PM

Colin McCarthy wrote:

nah man, crocs work just fine

ok thanks

|

9/14/2015 6:42 AM

This ended so well for so many reasons.

|

9/14/2015 7:12 AM

pancakeflatted wrote:

This ended so well for so many reasons.

Like what?? his sarcasm and mine?

|

9/14/2015 8:25 AM

strictly a need to know basis

|

9/19/2015 11:19 PM

This thread was an interesting venture in naivety.

|

9/20/2015 12:03 AM

visser62 wrote:

This thread was an interesting venture in naivety.

I make the best threads... What can I saywink

|

9/21/2015 10:05 AM

TrailHead wrote:

UPDATE: I actually made the decision to go flats now. After reading a thread that clipless ruins knees and back, and I already ...more

Do you really need 5.10's? No. But, they are good shoes in terms of added grip over a normal pair of skate shoes.
Check it: Five Ten Impact VXi Review

|

9/21/2015 4:00 PM

3 days is hardly enough time to learn to ride clipped in...more like a month and then some , before you are totally comfortable. some people can't get over the fear and then give up , sounds like what happened here.

|

9/21/2015 10:02 PM

johnD2 wrote:

3 days is hardly enough time to learn to ride clipped in...more like a month and then some , before you are totally ...more

I can never make up my mind! I had my cleats set up wrong. I finally set up my cleats to where my foot positioning feels normal. I still need to play around with my right cleat. I am still getting flat pedals though. I will ride the clips mostly, sometimes put on the flats to learn something like manuals. Or if I want to take a break. Youre right, I will wait a month or so before making a final decision!

|

9/21/2015 11:40 PM

did you buy shimano , crank bros. or what ? if they are shimano make sure the tension screws are backed all the way out and try shimano M56 multi release cleats (worth their weight in gold imo). keep the tension as loose as you can without them coming unclipped on the rough trails...practice rolling up to a dead stop and getting a foot down fast. you will have one or two good falls, hopefully painless. after a few weeks they will feel natural to you, and it will be just like riding a bike, from then on out...

|

9/22/2015 7:11 AM

johnD2 wrote:

did you buy shimano , crank bros. or what ? if they are shimano make sure the tension screws are backed all the way out and ...more

Shimano pd-530 pedals, with sh-51 cleats. I don't want to buy sh-56s because I read that they don't teach you the proper technique for unclipping. I think I'm better at unclipping already, I can unclip pretty fast. My release tension is about 5 clicks from easiest. I find my foot unclips too easy on the easiest setting.

|

9/22/2015 8:14 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/22/2015 8:15 AM

same pedals I ride..proper technique my ass ,lol...buy the cleats you won't regret it.
I get mine from ebay $12 shipped. SH56 link. keep us updated.

|

9/22/2015 9:46 AM

johnD2 wrote:

same pedals I ride..proper technique my ass ,lol...buy the cleats you won't regret it.
I get mine from ebay $12 shipped. SH56 ...more

I was think about that in the beginning, but I have been riding them for about a week. Don't feel the need for them. If I put them on the easiest, it would feel like a 56. Can release Both ways super easy!

|