Camera Shopping

Related:
Create New Tag

2/2/2010 1:38 AM

"I'm" looking at D-SLR cameras with video for under $650. I found a Nikon D5000 for around that, and I am wondering if any of you have any experience with the camera. I can't stand another blurred photo with "my" point and shoot. For God's sake...the thing can't even take a still photo unless it is mounted or sitting on the table, and the video makes this wonderful, grinding autofocus noise and is barely viewable.
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Shawn

|

Ass Ass Ass

2/5/2010 5:51 AM

http://gizmodo.com/5234607/canon-rebel-t1i-vs-nikon-d5000-entry+level-dslr-battlemodo
that may help. Or try used higher end USED prosumer bodies. They will allow faster flash syncs and autofocus tracking. Ultimately you want to try save for good glass, a fast lens you will keep no matter what body you end up using. Now you just have to choose between black or white.

|

2/6/2010 1:32 AM

Thanks Sven. That was the in-depth review I was looking for, and it's great to get it from an extremely reputable photographer. Hopefully I will be shooting here pretty soon.
-Shawn

|

Ass Ass Ass

2/6/2010 10:02 PM

So what would you call a fast lens? I am self taught so I dont know a whloe lot and would appreciate any info

|

Pwest

2/22/2010 8:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/4/2011 5:11 PM

Maybe a little late, but if it's not give some consideration to the Pentax K-X. Skiing partner of mine has one as his "knock-about" shooter and has been really surprised at how well it's held up and the IQ pretty good. Decent video as well (or at least as decent as these offerings get anyway).

As an added bonus the body w/kit lens is in your price range. Here's DPReview's take on it:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxkx/

|

If you go looking for trouble, you can be sure it's gaining from behind.

2/22/2010 11:40 PM

PWEST, Fast refers to the aperture, For a Zoom lens 2.8 is fast, the fastest I have seen. Fixed Focal length lenses Also known as prime lenses ( non- Zoom) are generally faster (wider aperture 1.8,1.4,1.2). I am on the same page with Sven, the camera body is not as important as the lenses. I would stick to ether Canon or Nikon.

|

JP
jdpeters.com

2/23/2010 2:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/23/2010 2:07 AM

+1 on getting a used prosumer body + a decent used lens.

Canon 20D's going for about $300
Canon 30D's going for about $400
(no idea on nikons cause I'm a canon loyalist )

so that leaves you a good bit of $ to pick up a decent used lens also.

|

2/23/2010 8:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/4/2011 5:11 PM

NorCalNomad wrote:

Great ideas ... And I'd agree 100% if he hadn't mentioned wanting video capabilities in the same body.

Still, if the OP manages to find a nice deal on a used Canon 7D or the like, let us all know about it. In that same vein, if video is as important or more so than still IQ, maybe try to find a used deal on a Panasonic GH1 (probably about as likely as the used 7D deal, heh).

|

If you go looking for trouble, you can be sure it's gaining from behind.

2/23/2010 1:07 PM

NorCalNomad wrote:

north20 wrote:

Great ideas ... And I'd agree 100% if he hadn't mentioned wanting video capabilities in the same body.

Still, if the OP manages to find a nice deal on a used Canon 7D or the like, let us all know about it. In that same vein, if video is as important or more so than still IQ, maybe try to find a used deal on a Panasonic GH1 (probably about as likely as the used 7D deal, heh).

Video is not as important as IQ, but I don't want it to be an afterthought in the camera's design either. Thanks for the suggestions guys, because I am still shopping...trying not to be so impulsive. The more opinions the better

|

Ass Ass Ass