Accessibility Widget: On | Off

lowering a 2010 boxxer team, can it be done?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/10/2009 6:57 PM

i was wondering if you can lower a 2010 rock shox boxxer team down to 180mm. I got the ideaa from sam hill's worlds bike and would love to do it too for my 2010 SX trail.

so, can you do it, and if so, how?

|

"rip before you slip" -kevin horstmann

11/14/2009 8:56 PM

could be wrong but I'd assume you could use their "all travel" spacers above the negative spring like on other Rockshox forks.

|

11/17/2009 11:16 AM

Unfortunately, the spring is still the same length, so you would either have to cut the spring, or find a shorter spring from another fork that would give you the same rate. Both options can put you in serious danger if you don't know exactly what your doing. I highly discourage you from trying it.

I would have to double-check inside the Boxxer World Cup, but in general, it is far simpler to reduce air forks than it is coil. Hence, the prevelance of Fox Float 36 forks on DJ bikes.

|

11/17/2009 3:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/4/2011 5:10 PM

joss wrote:

Unfortunately, the spring is still the same length, so you would either have to cut the spring, or find a shorter spring from ...more

Keep in mind how simply you can reduce the travel in a Fox 40 as well with those black spacers that come in the top of every 40.

And yes, shimming air is generally pretty easy, I love my 36 Float on my DJ bike, super easy to shim.

Take Joss's advice, if you dont know how to do it, or dont know what you are doing, take it to someone who does and have them potentially lower it.

|

11/21/2009 7:56 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/4/2011 5:10 PM

The spring in the Fox 40 is made specifically for the 180mm mode, and the spacers, when placed above the spring, allow the fork to travel 203mm. When placed below, the spacers limit the travel to the intended 180mm. Unlike the Fox 40, the Boxxer Team/Race/WC forks are intended to run at 203mm, and nothing else.

|

11/24/2009 6:19 AM

joss wrote:

The spring in the Fox 40 is made specifically for the 180mm mode, and the spacers, when placed above the spring, allow the ...more

I guess that means we won't be seeing a Boxxer on any 29'er DH proto bikes any time soonunsure ?

Such a shame.

emotech@fixiesgonewild.com

|

Suck All You Want. I'll Make More.