Accessibility Widget: On | Off

Chain Slap prevention

Related:
Create New Tag

3/28/2012 11:31 PM

I just got in my new DH frame and i want to protect my chain stay etc. I have been using tubes and zip ties don't like how bulky un-finished it looks, any suggestions for a cleaner looking alternative?

|

3/29/2012 6:07 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/21/2016 10:21 AM

One of those neoprene thingies work well. Here's one from Lizardskins for example: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=4760

It even comes in a bunch of colors... smile

|

3/29/2012 7:23 AM

Use Scotch Brand 2228 Moisture sealing Tape / Waterproof Tape its thick, flexible,stays on until you take it off. Home Depot on 6th Ave has it for $8.00 one role will do a couple of bikes . Looks clean and you only have to apply it where you need it not all over....its lighter. I love the stuff Ive been through alot of the neoprene ones only 1 application of tape.

|

3/29/2012 9:36 AM

Another option is to wrap the chainstay with a tube, then completely wrap the tube with electrical tape.

|

3/29/2012 3:42 PM

I use road bike handlebar tape... works pretty good and u can get a ton of different colors if u want em...

|

3/29/2012 4:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/21/2016 10:21 AM

Either use mastic tape like easyrider described or use Velcro. Obviously you want to use the fuzzy side and even though its pretty expensive it provides a clean, silent finish. Its a bitch to deal with once its been on the bike for awhile because the adhesive will tend to stick to the frame and then you need to bust out the goof off...

go with mastic, its the shit.

|

two wheels, one love.

3/29/2012 4:37 PM

btw- dont degrade your bikes pride with an inner tube or those lizard skin things. theyre still loud and dont last very long. silence is key

|

two wheels, one love.