Flash player

Related:
Create New Tag

8/12/2015 8:33 AM

So the internetz agreed a while back that Flash should be abandoned, and that trend is well enough established that I rarely encounter it anymore....but on this site there are two stories that are unviewable thx to Flash. Is vital sorta like a retro site now?

|

8/12/2015 10:07 AM

So retro! Haha. Are you on a mobile device? What feature are you trying to watch? We have mobile (non-flash) versions that should automatically load if needed.

|

Like bikes? Hit Vital up on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.

8/14/2015 10:58 AM

Android 4.4.2 tablet. Generates the 'unsupported Flash player' error, rather than loading your mobile version

There are only eleventy billion Android tablets out there so not worth you fixing this right?

But why use flash at all even for PC users?

|

8/18/2015 1:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/18/2015 1:18 PM

Fyi, the bug you're experiencing has been reported to our developers. We hope to have it sorted soon. Thanks for the feedback!

|

8/28/2015 2:58 PM

frorider, this issue should be fixed. Please let us know if you experience it again. Cheers!

|

3/1/2016 5:18 AM

Slightly different question, same problem.

Flash is really and truly dead, and also a terrifying security mess. As such, it's banned at work, and disabled on all my personal computers. Chrome on OSX with flash disabled won't play most of Vital's pre-roll adds (which is super annoying since they're definitely available in other, playable formats). After I ICB flash for 1 page view and the pre-roll goes by, almost without exception the content is a video which can _definitely_ be played without flash (e.g. youtube, native mp4 content, etc).

Please complete what you started: rip flash out of your site and give it the burial it deserves (e.g. unceremoniously thrown into a ravine).

Many Thanks!

|

6/17/2016 12:41 PM

b0bg wrote:

Slightly different question, same problem.

Flash is really and truly dead, and also a terrifying security mess. As such, it's banned at work, and disabled on all my personal computers. Chrome on OSX with flash disabled won't play most of Vital's pre-roll adds (which is super annoying since they're definitely available in other, playable formats). After I ICB flash for 1 page view and the pre-roll goes by, almost without exception the content is a video which can _definitely_ be played without flash (e.g. youtube, native mp4 content, etc).

Please complete what you started: rip flash out of your site and give it the burial it deserves (e.g. unceremoniously thrown into a ravine).

Many Thanks!

Hey b0bg, you'll be stoked to hear that we just unveiled a new HTML5 version of our slideshow player that should work far better across all of your devices. There's also a rad new inline format for mobile if you prefer that. Here's a sample. Onward!

|