Should I go with a 1x setup?

ChristianMR
Edited Date/Time 8/16/2014 9:30am
I've got a 2011 stumpy fsr elite. I've done some small modifications but nothing drastic. I was looking for any thoughts on switching to a 1x setup instead of the stock 2x. I drop the chain on this guy when I ride more than I would like, and I've though about a chainguide/bashguard addition. Anyone have any preferences on which way to go? This is my second year riding, so any advice is welcome believe me.

Thanks guys/gals
|
Big Bird
4/9/2014 8:54am
I've been 1X since '95. Do it whether you go chain guide or narrow wide.
Nicholast
4/9/2014 9:39am
To second Big Bird, you absolutely should. I've been one-by only since 2008, so a bit of a noob by contrast, but definitely a loyalist. I used to use compact drive 28T and 30T touring chainrings, Middleburn CD cranks, and 9-speed 34-11 cassettes. I thought I received a gift from the gods when 10-speed offered 36-11 cassettes because it meant running a standard 32T 104mm BCD ring and cranks. Now I am on XX1 with a 34T ring and don't miss the chain guide at all. I would steer you toward a narrow-wide ring over a chainguide, even without a clutch rear derailleur. You will drop your chain occasionally, but it will likely be less frequent than you do now. The weight savings, less rolling resistance, and simplicity are more valuable than guaranteed chain retention for recreational riding, IMO. If you are concerned about impacting your chainring on rocks, go with a standard chainring and a MRP AMG guide. That's a good setup as well.

Also, I was up in your neck of the woods two weeks ago at Curt Gowdy. Only on the black diamond portion of Canyon climbing from east to west did I want a lower gear than 34:42. For your first one-by setup, be kind to your legs and go with a low tooth count front ring because you will have to learn how to broaden your legs' power output and cadence to accommodate the new gearing. Once you fall in love with the simplicity of one-by, which most do, you can move onto X01 (or X91... if SRAM goes that route by then) and choose a more aggressive chainring.
ChristianMR
4/9/2014 2:47pm
Thanks a ton guys! I think I'll be purchasing parts here soon to make the conversion. I appreciate the advice!

Post a reply to: Should I go with a 1x setup?

The Latest