Accessibility Widget: On | Off

single speed freeride?

Related:
Create New Tag

6/14/2012 8:18 AM

so today i snapped the derailer hanger on my bike (airborne marauder) its a sram x7 if anyone was curious, and i was curious if anyone had ever created a full suspention single speed freeride/all mountian bike. i ride bmx, and i think it would be fucking awesome to do that.

|

6/14/2012 10:02 AM

Yeah, happens all the time. Because the distance between the front chainring and cassette changes as the suspension is compressed, you'll need to run a spring style tensioner (not a guide). It's basically a derailleur minus the shifting part.

|

6/15/2012 8:35 AM

One of those old, or new Rotecs would work for that as they pivot around the BB. I once did the "County Line Jamboree", a 41 mile single speed race down the whole coast of Santa Cruz County put on by frame builder Rick Hunter. I rode my old Santa Cruz Super 8 in a full face helmet just for fun. I made an extended seat post and and a spring loaded pivoting chainguide boomerang on my MRP to take up chain slack. Sadly the chainguide didn't take up enough slack, so I had to run a locked out derailleur. Not so much freeride, but it was a downhill bike.

|