Works Components Headset Help needed

Related:
Hi Guys,

I've purchased a Works Components 2 degree angle headset in ec44-zs56 configuration a couple years ago. Ran it in a previous frame with much joy, Got a new frame and wanted to fit the headset in the new frame.

The top cup is offset from the middle and orientation is pretty easy, for the bottom cup however they built in some sort of offset internal in order to accommodate the internal bearing in combination with angle adjust.

I remember the headset originally came with DIFFERENT instructions then the one which are mentioned on their website. Instructions were specific to the zs56 type bottom cup and explained which way to orientate.

Stupid me can't find those instructions anywhere, Works aren't responding after several mails/attempted phone calls.

Anybody got the instructions I'm after?

Thanks!
|
ride
1/24/2019 9:53am
Hey Sven,

We use these a lot for testing and with so many floating around and going in and out of frames we encounter this a lot.

Are you just trying to figure out the forward facing orientation of the lower cup?

If so- The two milled out cutaways on the ID of the lower cup where the steer tube passes should be on the L & R side. The two small milled lines on the bottom surface of the cup should be forward and rearward.

To figure out which of these to face forward, peek inside the upper portion of the lower cup above where these lines are milled right above where the bearing sits. If you rotate the cup you should notice that the depth of this surface is thicker on one side than the other. The place where the depth is the smallest would be the forward part, and the place where the depth is the thickest would be the rearward part.

You can use a silver sharpie or something to make a dot to locate in the future.

Use the two milled lines on the underside of the cup to get the alignment as close as you can to straight. Should be in-line with the centerline of your frame/headtube.

If you need more detail shoot me a pm.
1/24/2019 10:03am
@ride In times of endless discussion about the durometer of the 23d left side knob on Gwins tire, I salute you for such a helpful answer.

Really exactly the info I was looking for! Knocked the thing out of my old frame without looking which way was forward.

Thanks for the clarification and back in the new frame it go’s!

?
sspomer
1/24/2019 10:23am
quote - In times of endless discussion about the durometer of the 23d left side knob on Gwins tire, I salute you for such a helpful answer.

HAHAHAHA so good.

Post a reply to: Works Components Headset Help needed

The Latest