Accessibility Widget: On | Off

Sram 746 Hub Problems? SantaCruz

Related:
Create New Tag

7/14/2015 8:17 PM

Hey guys and girlies, first post to a forum so be easy on me. Bought a new 2015 SantaCruz Chameleon R Build that has a Sram MTH-746 rear thru axle 142x12 hub. It is supposed to be an affordable hub modeled the same as an X9, though the end cap set up seems completely different on my 746 with a jam nut behind the end cap. The bike has only been ridden about 15 road miles with some lift access park riding on it and noticed the rear wheel seems like there is play in it and feeling slight vibe through the pedals while pedaling. I pulled the rear wheel and made sure end caps and jam nut were all nice and tight, but does not seem to make a difference. Does anyone have any thoughts on this besides swapping it out to a King or Hope hub, which i will do if I have to, although seeing it is new figured i should get some use out of it. I read some where else, but only about the X9...couldnt find anything on this 746, of others having a problem, although it was not elaborated on a remedy or what the problem is, they were just quick comments that after resolve happened again and came to there own conclusions that the X9's are just junk hubs with problems and replaced them with Kings and Hopes. Is this 746 being modeled after the X9 indeed just an poorly designed real cheap x9 copy junk hub???? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Bring it back to the dealer on friday to have them look at it/warranty do whatever, problem only santa cruz dealer is 2 hours away, so I will let them take care of it this one time...but thats why im looking for insight because sounds like it is going to just happen very soon again.

|

Ride Hard and Whip It Big!!!!

9/23/2015 8:52 AM

Did you ever get this resolved or figure out what the problem was ?. I just picked up a nomad with these hubs and having same issue. Thanks.

|

9/23/2015 10:38 AM

Yeah I figured it out, junk is what I was told, by two different bike shops...ride it until they fail and just upgrade is what I was told. I figured so much, although hoped I would get more than 20 miles without them starting to fail...WTF, I mean, I have a 1996 handmade GT zaskar, I know LOL, but I'll tell ya $3K back then and the driveline has 2K miles on it and is like butter glassy smooth like new.... Oh also the bottom bracket is creaking/grinding/clicking through the pedals into my feet also after that 20 miles....said the same thing just upgrade it. I'm all about the goodies but would have hoped to get a little mileage out of it first otherwise I would have just bought a frame and built it....heck by the time I buy new wheels and hubs, might as well cause it's really not anymore expensive buying a nice combo pre built than just hubs and spokes and having them laced... Then a new set of carbon 6C cranks with new bottom bracket....I know that isn't exactly neccassary...$100 for CK BB vs. $600 cranks and all...that's on me, but WTF might as well just do it right. I'm talking an easy $1400+ upgrade. I've already got $3500 wrapped up in this chameleon gonna be 5K by the time I'm done.....although I must say its the best trail bike I've ever ridden..with the Pike fork she's a nice little down hill ripper for the flowy park trails. Actually outside the 20 trail miles all she's done is go downhill..LOL. Dozens of chairlift rides..LOL

|

Ride Hard and Whip It Big!!!!