Accessibility Widget: On | Off

Rampage course idea.

Related:
Create New Tag

2/2/2015 9:09 AM

Something just occurred to me for a potential Red Bull Rampage course feature. The contest is all about making the most of a limited course. Riders often do a lot of traversing to get to good lines. A straight run down the fall line from the start isn't gonna win the podium. So how about giving the riders a way actually gain extra altitude and open up even more of the course for riding?

How about building a Massive step up utilizing all of the speed that riders get from clearing the canyon gap? imagine a twenty foot lip/quarter pipe with a step up landing another twenty or so feet up. Wall rides and tire taps come to mind as well. I've never been to the venue in person, but I seem to recall spectators looking down onto the landing, suggesting that there's someplace to step up to.

Is anyone out there a veteran spectator or competitor and can tell us whether the landscape will cooperate with my idea?

|

2/3/2015 10:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/3/2015 10:06 AM

A monster sized step up would be cool, but as you mentioned they'd need a ton of speed to make it exciting and really trickable, especially on a DH/freeride bike. The canyon gap would provide that, but they'd also come out of it really slowly and have to then regain speed for the bottom bit which is relatively flat.

Not sure this is accurate through: "A straight run down the fall line from the start isn't gonna win the podium." Andreu and Aggy went about as straight as you could go last year.

|

2/5/2015 10:01 AM

I would rather suck the sweat off a dead man's balls,than have a RRR feature TBH.
I think it is a mere sideshow to actual MTB'ing.
There.
I said it.

|

2/6/2015 1:05 AM

Well, after the canyon gap the terain generally still goes downhill so where would you be step-uping?

|

2/8/2015 5:36 PM

I went back and looked at some videos of people hitting the canyon gap. They're definitely landing side hill on a ledge or fire road. The hill to the right isn't as steep as I was hoping, so no "Massive" step up, but there's still a lot of momentum coming off that gap that some uphill fun could be had. I've always wanted to build an uphill rhythm section to get riders back to the top of the dirt jumps. It could be done side/uphill to the right after the gap and give riders access to more of the valley beyond the big wood booter and such. Just a dream perhaps.

|