Accessibility Widget: On | Off

Pedal Drag

Related:
Create New Tag

10/3/2020 7:45 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/3/2020 7:45 AM

I just got a 2021 Specialized Epic Evo Comp, my first full suspension bike. I'm blowing up all my previous Strava segments, so definitely a move in the right direction from the Vitus Sentier hardtail (which I still love).

One thing I notice however is that I'm dragging the pedals in turns a lot more. I'm not sure if this is because the bike is allowing me to rail turns faster, so I'm just leaned over more, or because the Epic EVO is slightly more XC focused and maybe lower to the ground.

At any rate, any advice on techniques to keep you pedaling through turns without digging one into the dirt?

|

10/5/2020 10:09 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/5/2020 10:12 AM

I can guess. Your shock is compressing with the force of the turn lowering your bottom bracket....Coming from a hard tail you're not used to suspension settling in the corner yet. As far as advice I have none, I am a hardtail for life guy.

|

10/5/2020 10:23 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/5/2020 11:26 AM

Reagan Jones wrote:

I just got a 2021 Specialized Epic Evo Comp, my first full suspension bike. I'm blowing up all my previous Strava segments, so ...more

I'd say make sure your sag is set properly and ride more you'll figure it out.

this gmbn video should clear everything up!

|

10/5/2020 3:47 PM

Hmmm. Since I was a kid, I've always gone "outside peg down" in the turns and pedaled out. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think I can imagine pedaling ANY bike through a corner without getting a full-on pedal strike on the inside pedal. The closest I can imagine is starting with the inside pedal rearward and getting 270 degrees or so of pedal before you get it all the way down; by then, make sure you are straightening up out of the turn.

Pedals and/or cranks with a smaller Q factor might help a little.

|