Accessibility Widget: On | Off

Night Riding, testing 1500 vs 3000 lumens, with video!!!

Related:
Create New Tag

11/12/2014 9:38 AM

Some testing of night lights, click below. Send me your comments, I am interested in what you guys think. Thanks,

http://thebikingbuddah.wordpress.com/2014/10/30/night-riding-how-many-lumens-do-you-really-need-testing-1500-versus-3000-lumens/

|

11/12/2014 10:00 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/12/2014 12:20 PM

Curious, was your camera set to the same exposure settings in both videos? Or was it on an auto mode? The first would be best for a true comparison.

You make an interesting argument, but it left me wondering why don't you ride with a crummy flashlight strapped to your head if you're simply "in it for the challenge?" I enjoy the moments that keep you on your toes when night riding, as well as the new life it can bring to an old/familiar trail, and have even ridden by nothing more than moonlight.

For me, though, the more light the better. You were going considerably faster in the 3000 lumen video than the 1500 lumen video, likely because you could see more. Safety is a concern too. To each their own. My ideal setup has consists of two 1,000 lumen lights - one on my head, one on my bars.

|

11/12/2014 12:17 PM

Thanks for the response bturman. I was running the same custom setting on my GoPro (960p, 45fps) and not the auto setting. I don't think I was riding any faster in the 3000 Lumen video, I made both videos on easier flat trails with minimum vibrations just for ease of viewing.

I want to state that it is ONLY my opinion and my preferred current setup is 1550 Lumens and this is what works for ONLY me. When considering the purchase of night lights, factor in cost and safety. Broken bones and injuries have no monetary value whatsoever so if you feel that more lumens equals greater safety, I support that 100%. I factored in upgrading to more lumens for increased safety before making my decision.

Thanks again for the response.

|

11/12/2014 7:07 PM

"What will happen next year? 6000 lumens?"
http://www.trailled.com/halo/

|

11/13/2014 9:41 AM

Haha, good one Reinforcer. I took a quick look at those lights, battery is way too heavy. BUT...around this time next year, there will be a 6000 Lumen light-weight light, I'm certain of that.

|