Accessibility Widget: On | Off

Mountain Bike Racing on CBS: Crossfit Games Fail

Related:
Create New Tag

8/3/2017 9:04 AM

Please tell me I wasn't the only one who caught this. Where oh where is Team Robot when you need him? Just your friendly reminder, when you tell your coworkers you like to "go mountain biking" this is what the believe you go do...
Photo

|

8/4/2017 3:45 AM

oh moan....another example of where people would rather be clad in lycra and pedalling their asses off to get a PB, which = personal fame and glory, rather than just chilling with their mates and having good times........i really wonder what makes some people tick

|

8/4/2017 10:02 AM

Well to be fair they are calling it Cyclocross which was EXACTLY what it was. The just had basic HT bikes provided by trek.

|

8/7/2017 6:46 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/7/2017 6:49 AM

spammyg wrote:

oh moan....another example of where people would rather be clad in lycra and pedalling their asses off to get a PB, which = ...more

Since when is going for personal bests a bad thing? A lot of the time I'm riding solo, which makes it impossible to chill with my friends while riding.

Personally I think it's a win win for both sides. It might get some CF people to try cycling more and vice versa.

|

8/7/2017 7:37 AM

spammyg wrote:

oh moan....another example of where people would rather be clad in lycra and pedalling their asses off to get a PB, which = ...more

swedishfishmx wrote:

Since when is going for personal bests a bad thing? A lot of the time I'm riding solo, which makes it impossible to chill with ...more

Did you watch it?

Though DH is by far my favorite discipline to watch, I still have a ton of respect for a good XC race. So its not the type of riding I so badly hated about this. Instead, it was:

1) They called it mountain biking, then they called it CX, truthfully it was neither

2) It showcased some of the worst bike handling on the planet

3) You never see world cup mountain biking on TV. For this to be the "representation" of knobby wheeled riding to the masses is sort of a shame when you consider how crazy the talent level is at the top level of the actual sport.

Just a big facepalm. I guess it doesn't matter, as CBS and normal TV is going the way of the dodo bird anyway. Good thing we have Warner and Red Bull TV eh!?

|

8/8/2017 12:20 AM

I watched part of it. The women really struggled with the logs, other than that it seemed fine.

1. It's new for them, can't blame them if they don't call it correctly.

2. I don't expect crossfit athletes to have exceptional skills on a bike.

3. Baby steps?

|

8/8/2017 7:10 AM

swedishfishmx wrote:

I watched part of it. The women really struggled with the logs, other than that it seemed fine.

1. It's new for them, can't ...more

Just to clarify, its cool the crossfitters (sp?) gave it a go. I'm merely suggesting its a bit of a bummer, especially with mr. gwin's performance this weekend, that *this* is the limelight shone on the sport. This is to mountain biking what celebrity softball or flag football is to their respective sports. The difference is we all know the difference whereas the normal population of viewers (EG: my boss) has no idea the difference.

Doesn't really matter, but it also doesn't paint the sport in the best light.

There is an irony to all of it... just my opinion.

|

8/8/2017 9:03 PM

jeff.brines wrote:

Just to clarify, its cool the crossfitters (sp?) gave it a go. I'm merely suggesting its a bit of a bummer, especially with ...more

Can't argue with that, it is a bummer MTB is not on mainstream sports networks. Until then Redbull TV works.

|

8/9/2017 6:46 AM

swedishfishmx wrote:

Can't argue with that, it is a bummer MTB is not on mainstream sports networks. Until then Redbull TV works.

Considering "mainstream TV" is on the outs, I think Redbull TV is poised to do well... (it will be more and more mainstream as people cut the cord...)

|

8/9/2017 4:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/9/2017 4:01 PM

jeff.brines wrote:

Considering "mainstream TV" is on the outs, I think Redbull TV is poised to do well... (it will be more and more mainstream as ...more

That's true, at least with motocross you can view live and access the archive for full motors (commercial free) and the second set of practice sessions wth a $50 season pass. Well worth it for that kind of coverage.

|

8/9/2017 4:03 PM

swedishfishmx wrote:

jeff.brines wrote:

Considering "mainstream TV" is on the outs, I think Redbull TV is poised to do well... (it will be more and more mainstream as ...more

swedishfishmx wrote:

That's true, at least with motocross you can view live and access the archive for full motors (commercial free) and the second ...more

I'd pay something for the Redbull coverage, especially if it got better (more cameras on course, qualy coverage etc)

|