Accessibility Widget: On | Off

First Upgrades

Related:
Create New Tag

9/4/2012 10:34 AM

I've been riding trails for about a year now and I'd like to start upgrading my bike. I have the 2011 Trek Gary Fisher Advance. I don't know where to start or what's the first thing I should look at upgrading. Or maybe it's not even worth upgrading such a low-end bike. But my question to those of you who have been riding for a while is what is one of the most common things people upgrade on their MTB's? Also, any info on type or brand of whatever it is you recommend to upgrade would by nice too. I was thinking about maybe upgrading my mechanical brakes to hydraulic? Thanks.

|

9/6/2012 8:04 AM

Hydraulic brakes are a good idea. Also, customizing the cockpit (Bars and stem) to fit you can make a big difference in your ride. But don't just buy the cool bar of the day. Find the ones that have a rise and sweep that fit you. Feel every bar in the shop and check out other peoples set ups. Wider bars and a shorter stem put you more in control of the bike when it gets fast and rough.

|

9/6/2012 4:31 PM

Tires and air pressure, depending on what type of terrain you ride they can make a world of difference in handling and control. Check out and ask what others are riding at your local trails to get an idea before you make an investment.

|

9/6/2012 9:22 PM

and some good grippy flat pedals

|