First Real Ride.

Related:
Create New Tag

3/13/2010 5:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/4/2011 5:11 PM

When you look back on your time spent mountain biking, where and when was your first real ride? The ride where you knew you were hooked, you knew this was a thing you were going to dork out on, you were in this for years to come.

And maybe, have you got that same feeling since then?

|

3/13/2010 7:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/13/2010 7:14 PM

When I was about 7 years old I got a dual suspension little kids bike from a department store. I was living on an acerage at the time and there was another boy my age who had a bmx and built jumps going into the ditch along the side of the roads and I remember launching out and consistently got 5 feet off the ground. I started doing whatever he was doing at the time being stoked on that 5 feet of air and then a year later was put in a kids mountain biking camp and won the top rider award thing haha. Then I knew the sport was meant for me. Now years later I find myself volunteering with the camp today.

|

Hardtails can do everything duals can. Well... almost.

3/13/2010 7:18 PM

I had a fried who was always into mtb. He ad his dad raced since I was about six. i remember one day in Melbourn I picked up a [R]evolution MTB mag, and saw the race reoprt for Rotarua worlds.

there was this pic of Bryn Atkinson nailing this uber tech root-root jump over one of the rockgardes, and was hooked.

|

"too fast" is relative. "Too fast" is faster than what you are happy at.

3/13/2010 10:02 PM

the new world disorder 7 trailer. i dont know why but thats what got me into mountainbiking. before that i just rode bikes

|

3/14/2010 4:54 AM

Watching Darren Berrecloth's segment in NWD4 really inspired me.

|

3/14/2010 8:51 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/4/2011 5:11 PM

I was a kid in the early 90's and rode my rigid giant iguana on all over the neighborhood. Then I found these horse trails and starting riding those. I didn't even know what mtn biking was. I kept riding those and then at the bike shop I asked my dad to buy me a guide book of the local trails. This was in colorado springs, and I starting riding the chutes. The funny part was that since I was young (and a pussy) it took me a few weeks to go all the way to the top since it felt like I was really far from my house and I was kinda scared (but come on. . . I was only 9 or 10).

I rode through HS almost every day, even through the winter. Then I got out of the sport for 2 years. When I got back into it I bought a full suspension and now. . . . I have been more and more stoked every year!

The technology makes this make sense finally on the trail-- no more riding w/ blurry vision down rocky trail (while getting passed my motos that made it look like they were floating)!! Thank you engineers!

|

3/14/2010 9:35 AM

Killington mountain on a hardronch sport w/ a 120mm stem, a super soft rock shock psylo

|

3/14/2010 7:02 PM

Giant warp ds2. pinner rig. 2.7 maxxis mobsters totally made the bike.

|

3/14/2010 8:35 PM

diamond back recoil. 16inch? 6speed? something like that, it was forever ago, like 4th grade material, but so cool because it wasnt some pile o huffy. this question makes me feel old :p

|

3/14/2010 9:26 PM

My first MTB was a Univega Alpina 501. That was 1995. My first real bike was a Cycle Pro Macho in the early 80's...

Ha, I'm old...but not as old as Joel Alamo!

|

Lance