Accessibility Widget: On | Off

1x cranksets

Related:
Create New Tag

4/2/2014 3:11 PM

hey ya'll, im wondering if anyone knows if i can change my crankset from 3 to 1 on my Specialized FSR? i have no idea what year it is but i'am tired of dropping the chain atleast twice every ride, thank you for your support!

|

4/2/2014 6:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/2/2014 6:06 PM

Absolutely, welcome to the old school. Take off the granny gear and recycle it. Decide what front gear you want to run and install it in the middle ring position, either with standard chainring bolts if you're going narrow wide, or with a bash guard and longer chain ring bolts that either come with the bash/ chain guide or that can be found at the local bike shop. If you're gonna use a chain guide, it can get kind of annoying finding the right chain line and chain guide spacing. Just take a shot of patience, follow the instructions and be prepared to try out a few different set ups. Personally, I haven't had more than one chainring since about '95-'96 and the hey day of the MRP.

|

4/3/2014 7:38 AM

right on, thanks for the words of wisdom Big Bird!! cantt wait to stop droppin chains

|

4/3/2014 12:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/3/2014 12:59 PM

smallz wrote:

right on, thanks for the words of wisdom Big Bird!! cantt wait to stop droppin chains

I'd recommend going the narrow/wide chainring route. It's super easy and way quieter/smoother/lighter than a chainguide.

The Race Face rings are nice. Check them out here: http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Chainrings,19/Race-Face/Narrow-Wide,13126

|

4/6/2014 9:59 AM

smallz wrote:

bturman wrote:

I'd recommend going the narrow/wide chainring route. It's super easy and way quieter/smoother/lighter than a chainguide.

The ...more

so the raceface narrow wide will bolt right to my XT spider?

|

4/6/2014 10:13 AM

Assuming you have some newer 4-bolt XT cranks, yes.

|