Accessibility Widget: On | Off

Should ur suspension bottom out

Related:
Create New Tag

1/31/2010 8:43 AM

Hey wats up i jus got a new haro porter and im messin with the air suspension right now, not sure if i should leave the settings as i have em now or change em
*the suspension is bottoming out on big jumps, should this be or should i put more psi in em, i dont wanna ruin the bike
*ive got more psi than what the book says for people my weight but i doubt the book includes doing jumps, its prob jus xc data
* i got about 75psi in the front and i think 150psi in the back, both are set to be slow (dampened) rebound

|

1/31/2010 8:55 AM

if you're bottoming out really hard and often, i'd add more PSI. if it's only happening on harsh or flat landings and is not a regular occurance, then you're probably ok.

i've written eric porter to see if he can chime in here and give you some insight about how he has his personal bike set up.

|

1/31/2010 9:20 AM

well only had the bike for a day and jus ridden it on the jumps in front of my house, it bottoms out on the big one, i jus put more psi in the shoxs like 80 front and 160 back, gonna try it out, i cant belive ur asking the "man" Eric Porter haha thanks

|

1/31/2010 6:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/4/2011 5:10 PM

Harsh bottoming. BAD. But you also do not want to have to much air pressure,you want the bike to use all of it's travel.I would set it up so on the bigges't of big it just about use's all of the stroke. then drop air pressure in 5lbs incro's until it is dialed. ( just remember every one likes there setup different ) have fun, and find that magic set up that work's for you ...

|

1/31/2010 10:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/4/2011 5:10 PM

Hey what's up! I'm pumped you picked up my bike, you're gonna have fun on it for sure! So on my bike I change the pressure on the shocks all the time, depending on what I'm riding. If I'm riding Whistler or shuttling trails or something, I set it up fairly soft so that it keeps the tires on the trails and is more comfortable. When I show up at a slopestyle contest, or if I'm hitting jumps and stuff, I set it up pretty damn stiff. I honestly have no clue as to how much pressure the fork and shock can hold, but I put a lot in there, like around 180-200 for the rear and around 100 for the fork. I weigh about 190 lbs, so take that into consideration, whatever you weigh. With this much pressure, it feels great off lips, and still uses a decent amount of travel when landing, which is when you want it to work, and it only bottoms out when you really hit hard. Also with the fork you have the high and low speed compression damping dials under the right leg, those make a huge difference. If your fork is bottoming you can turn those up and you will notice an immediate change. If you want to keep the fork softer but still not bottom out, then turn up the high speed compression dial a lot and see how that does. Let me know if you have any more questions for sure!

Eric

|

2/3/2010 11:41 AM

Yea i love ur bike and its even lighter than my last bike which was a hardtail haha, and i got about 80psi in the forks now and i tweaked the high and low speed compression and its been perfect so far. All the components are great too, gravity shimano and hayes

|