Accessibility Widget: On | Off

Frame and tires for DJ/SS

Related:
Create New Tag

4/19/2014 2:00 PM

Hello,
First of all I plan to build DJ/SS bike in some 2 months. Now, i know Nukeproof Solum would hold DJ, but I'm not so sure about SS. If I wanted mix of both should I move to 4X frame? Also, as fara as tire selection goes I think I would run Speed king/Small block/Crossmark on rear, but I think I should have something wider and knobbier on front like Der Baron 2.3/Nevegal 2.5 or 2.5/High Roller 2.35? Also, would DaBomb Warhawk or Nukeproof Snap make a good DJ/SS bike?

|

4/21/2014 7:07 AM

Hey Dorian. You're on the right track on the tire selection. About the frame, I'm not familiar with the Snap, but the main concern in a DJ/SS frame is the chain stay length. 4X frames tend to have longer ones for high speeds, whereas for DJ/SS/Street a shorter rear end is better for maneuverability.

|

4/21/2014 8:03 AM

I understand deal about chain stay length, but I'm more concerned about strength. Also, Snap has ability to fit horizontal dropouts.

|

4/21/2014 1:56 PM

Horizontal dropouts, perfect. If it doesn't have fancy chain tensioners built in, you can often even file or grind them deeper to shorten the rear end even more. My friend Jason had stays in the high 14" range. Nuke Proof is a well renowned and largish company, so they should be good with warranty, and I've never heard any complaints about their quality. I am from the US though and there aren't many over here.

|

4/22/2014 6:27 PM

DO NOT GET THE NUKEPROOF!!!!!!!! its nothing against the company but a 4x bike is made very very ridged. it will most likely be too stiff for dj.

|

4/23/2014 11:52 AM

Thanks for all advises. I will probably get NP Solum, it's DJ bike and still one of cheaper on CRC. What do you think, would the bike be able to handle drops to flat (concrete, dirt, wood...) from 2-3 meters?

|

4/24/2014 7:30 PM

Any bike can do it once and no bike can do it forever.

|

7/30/2014 10:07 AM

i recomend the p slope or the transition double. both nice ss bikes and dirt jumping. as for tires. i will have to say kenda k-rads or kiniptions

|