Accessibility Widget: On | Off

Body Armor

Related:
Create New Tag

8/11/2013 8:09 AM

I was wondering if it is really necessary to wear full body armor while DH riding. I see all these guys with only full face helmets, jerseys, shorts, gloves, and sometimes knee and shin gaurds. I feel like all that armor would be to hot and uncomfortable and hard to move in. What do you recomend?

|

9/3/2013 8:38 AM

crashes happen even to the best pro riders out there. perhaps it's better to err on the side of caution.

dainese protection gears come to mind.

|

“It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.” - Ernest Hemingway

9/3/2013 9:18 PM

I meant to get back to this thread, but then I didn't, but now I am, so I guess I did. Thanks sysdev1 for reminding me.

As a beginner and sport class downhill racer, I used to pad up pretty well. At races, where I was really pushing my pace, I would wear the full deal; jacket with elbows, padded shorts. knee/shins, gloves and full face. (Neck braces didn't exist at that time.) I knew that I was up and coming and that I better protect myself until I did come up. Since making it to Expert and staying an expert, then morphing into a Cat 1, I'm comfortable with my skills at not just going fastish, but in being able to correct for mistakes and not crashing as much. As a result of time and comfort, I now wear less. Full face, soft or hard knees depending on the terrain, gloves and a neck brace if I could afford one. Stay safe and within your limits and crash well.

|