Race Face showed us their brand new Next SL G4 modular crankset. Featuring redesigned hollow carbon crank arms, which shave about 6 grams per arm, a new 30mm commercialized super alloy (claimed 20% stronger than regular alloys), and a new direct-mount carbon composite chainring.
The new ring, which is backwards compatible with all CINCH cranks, uses their new Next Direct Mount carbon fiber spider to interface with the cranks. This reduces lateral flex in the chainring by 13%, which is critical with the more extreme angles of a 1x drivetrain.
Besides changing the shape of the Next SL crank arms, Race Face has also updated the pedal insert material to their commercialized super alloy as well as redesigned the 3M crank arm/ankle protection, which used to sometimes snag on your shoes and peel off. The new 3M protective tape has been shaped in a way to prevent the leading edge from being picked up by any kind of snag, which helps eliminate peeling.
Aimed at the XC / trail crowd, the new Next SL cranks weigh in at only 434g (tested) with the direct mount 32t ring. The cranks are available now, with the new rings becoming available in mid-June for the 32 and 34t options. The 28t and 30t rings will show up this Fall.
Race Face Next SL G4 Features
- Colors: Silver, Stealth, Red, Blue, Orange
Built For: XC Race / Trail / Enduro
- Spindle Size: 30mm
- Weight: 430g (32T Direct Mount, without bottom bracket)
- BB Options: BB92/107/124/144, 68/73/83/100/120 BSA, 68/73/83/100/120 PF30
- Compatible with 135/142mm, Boost 148, 150/157mm,165/170/177mm and 190/197mm hub standards
- Crank Arm Length: 170, 175
- MSRP: $479.99 (arms only) $549.99 (w/ direct mount composite ring)
Next SL Composite Ring Features
- Color: Carbon
- Built For: XC Race / Trail / Enduro
- Compatible With: Race Face CINCH cranks
- Ring Sizes: 28T, 30T, 32T, 34T
2016 Sea Otter Classic Pit Bits