Accessibility Widget: On | Off

what do i need?

Create New Tag

2/25/2010 3:53 PM

just recently bought a specialized p.3. im wanting to switch it from 8 speed to fixed gearing for dirt jumping. i have a pair of profile cranks id like to put on there, and coming from the bmx side i would like to run a smaller gearing on it. i dont know what people run, but somewhere arond a 9, 30 i think would be nice. any help would be nice


2/25/2010 9:03 PM

Basically all you should need is a stack of spacers and a cog to replace your 8 speed cassette and possibly a chain tensioner if your frame has vertical drop outs. With a cassette the smallest gear you can run in the back will be an 11 or 12. I usually have to run a 12 tooth to get my chain to clear the spacers properly. 12-25 gearing is a good gear to run unless you need to pedal up to mach one or something.


2/26/2010 6:29 AM

so all i would need to is a cog to go on the hub i have already? if thats the case my wallet just took a sigh of relief. and im almost positive the bike has a horizontal dropout like of a bmx frame.


2/26/2010 8:13 AM

Most likely, you would just need a cog, but I cant see your bike through the internet, so it is hard to tell. Your best bet is to take it to a shop and they can let you know exactly what you need.