Accessibility Widget: On | Off

newbie looking for the right bike

Related:
Create New Tag

11/19/2014 8:50 AM

I went with a friend to an indoor mountain bike park (Ray's in Milwaukee - awesome place, great staff, well worth the money to go) and rented a bike for the day. I'm hooked! I NEED my own bike! Not exactly sure what to get though. I rented a dirt jumper, which was awesome. Hit every jump in the place and had a blast.... rolled on the pump track and loved it... Didn't do so well on the technical trail section - wasn't crazy about riding up and over beams and things that tilted.... couldn't jump into the foam pit because i was on a rental but am definitely craving to try it. It was my first time on a bike that didn't have a throttle to twist! Riding indoors will be great winter training for my summer motocross addiction, but I'd love to find a bike that I can use indoors at the park and also take out onto the dirt/trails. Do they even make a bike built for both or am I going to end up having to buy two bikes? Suggestions?

|

11/20/2014 8:37 AM

It's tricky to find a do it all bike for both jumping and trail riding. It does get a bit easier for smaller people. Judging by your screen name, you might just be petite enough. You might be able to get away with riding a Specialized P-Slope or a used SX Trail. Both are short travel full suspension bikes where the rear shock could be firmed up for jumping and indoor riding or softened up for the trails.

|

11/20/2014 8:44 AM

I just looked to the right at an add for the P-Slope and was reminded that you'd need two different lengths of seat post due to it's interrupted seat tube. I'm sure that you could find an SX Trail for a song and a dance though. My friend had a real hard time selling his recently.

|

12/6/2015 9:00 PM

Hello guys.
I'm 27 years old and wanna ride mtb.i always loved 2 wheels ( not a motorcycle),always wanted to be a rider.
AS i am getting old i have to start it before too late.What bike should i have as a beginner?I've been hardworking since 18 and today too.But i have to do something that i always wanted before aging.
Guys advice me what bike is suiteble for me.

|

12/7/2015 5:51 AM

old hag wrote:

Hello guys.
I'm 27 years old and wanna ride mtb.i always loved 2 wheels ( not a motorcycle),always wanted to be a rider.
AS i ...more

http://enduro-mtb.com/en/the-review-whyte-605-budget-27-5-hardtail/ if you are in the uk this bike looks good

|

12/7/2015 4:12 PM

If you want a good bike to start I would recommend this:

http://www.commencalusa.com/meta-ht-am-essential-plus-650b-yellow-2015-c2x14720174

or more a little more expensive (and a bigger bike too)

http://www.commencalusa.com/meta-am-v3-origin-1x-650b-yellow-2015-c2x14720160

|

12/7/2015 8:13 PM

I would go for any slopestyle bike that you can outfit with a rear derailleur and gears if you want a bike to ride trail and hit jumps with. Trek Ticket S, Specialized P-Slope (though you will have to swap some parts to give this bike gears,) Specialized SX or Enduro SX (if memory serves corectly, the SX Trail has 8" of rear travel and is more of a mini-DH and park bike,) Transition Double, Pivot MX4, Nukeproof Rook, Rocky Mountain Slayer SS and the Blackmarket Killswitch are all slopestyle bikes that could double as trail bikes for those who are determined enough. I can't think of any others at the moment. As was noted above, you may need to have two different length seat posts (short one for jumping, long one for trail.) for the bike, or run a dropper if one will work, the Double, MX4, and Rook should all be able to handle a dropper post, or just a really long seat post. I've considered getting a bike like this for winter abuse.

|

12/11/2015 12:04 AM

Thank you guys.I watch youtube usually it's not enough to enjoy i wanna feel it myself that what you guys when ride.
I don' live in U.S either U.K it's mongolia very complicated to find bikes and parts.

|