Accessibility Widget: On | Off

do old but healed injuries hold you back?

Related:
Create New Tag

3/2/2010 7:17 AM

if not how do you get over them? do you just not care and ride like normal? i know hesitating is going to make things worse for me but at speed i tense up because of a crash i had.

|

3/2/2010 8:46 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/4/2011 5:11 PM

For me it's kind of the opposite, I just let loose too soon, and crash and re-injure myself (luckily it has been different injuries)

However, for me the issue is how o gradually keep increasing my speed after an injury...

I had a collarbone break about 5 months ago, and now I have a suspected broken hand, since I went crazy on a race and missed a double... I guess you have to come back mentally from both ends, either holding back or going all out too soon...

It's how to conquer those 2 in your head which is the tough part...

|

3/2/2010 9:56 AM

It definitely takes me a while to feel good on the bike after an injury, both mentally and handling-wise. What I've found expediates the process is focusing on riding with solid technique, not necessarily pinning, for a while. By the time your confidence is back, your bike feel is where it should be too. Be patient!

|

3/2/2010 4:46 PM

I never go riding without a HELMET now. I was riding my bmx bike as fast and hard as i could down a hill and the chain snapped. I landed directly on my temple, fractured my eye socket and cheek bone. I was definitely afraid to get back on for some time. I found the easiest way was to start wearing a helmet. I bought a full face and a brain bucket.

|

Excuse me, is you saying something? UH, uh, YOU cant tell me nothing.

3/31/2010 12:13 PM

I broke my femur a few years ago, aside from the muscle damage and the leg being 7/8" shorter than it was you dont get comfortable again till after you crash again and realize it will be ok.

|

4/6/2010 6:37 PM

I broke my fibia and my frame became fubar. onec healed and back on my new bike the first day i got it i hit a gap bent my bars ruptured my shock valve and broke my toe. Big injuries in a sense hold you back as they can cause injuries to reoccur. After being off the bike for long periods of time i tend to want to go balls out and get hurt.

|

GETTING MEATY!!!!!!!!!!

4/7/2010 10:16 AM

If anyone has ever racked thier balls really hard, then you know about being apprehensive to get back on the bike. I was riding street and did like an 8 foot drop to flat concrete and my hussefelts gave out. I racked my jewels on the top tube and got a face full of stem. Upgrading my gear was a big piece of mind. Bought some profile splined cromoly cranks. But the fear of hurting my boys again is always in the back of my head.

|