Accessibility Widget: On | Off

demo 8 or 303 RDH for a minor

Related:
Create New Tag

10/27/2009 10:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/21/2016 10:18 AM

i always hate asking these questions in threads but im in a serious dilemma between these two bikes.

I love them both and they both have their ups n` downs, i wanted to see what you guys thought would be a better option for me: (2010 demo 8 frame,Transition blindside, or 2010 yeti 303 RDH frame)

my skill level and background:

so im only 14, that means im not nearly a full-on pinner, but im obviously not a snail either. im not to big a fan of racing, more just riding DH for fun. my riding style of riding tends to be a bit of a sam blienkensop style; i like being fast and loose,crazy style, i have a bit of a moto style, and i like to have my bike go exactly where i want it to.

somethings i want out of my bike:

- have a balance between low-speed handling and high speed stability

- be super nimble, and i mean nimble

- a very pop-able, playful bike on and off the ground

- can take rough, loose corners like a champ

- feels comfortable mid-air

- i can still hit drops, jumps, bits of freeride (without having to worry about my frame blowing up)

- can feel like a race bike once it gets around to race day

- can take on california rough terrain and loose-ness with ease...

my plans with this bike:

my goal is to become much faster with my next bike, like ive said before, im not nearly the fastest rider on the mountain currently but i would like to become pretty darn fast with this next steed. I plan to keep this bike for about another 2 years then move onto to another. Mainly im trying to find a bike that can be OK for my current skill level, yet i can progress on and become a faster rider on...

I hope ive given you enough information to help me make a decision on my next frame. If you have any input on either frames or suggestions, i would love to hear them.

Thanks for listening!

-kevin

|

"rip before you slip" -kevin horstmann

10/28/2009 6:45 AM

"somethings i want out of my bike:

- have a balance between low-speed handling and high speed stability

- be super nimble, and i mean nimble

- a very pop-able, playful bike on and off the ground

- can take rough, loose corners like a champ

- feels comfortable mid-air

- i can still hit drops, jumps, bits of freeride (without having to worry about my frame blowing up)

- can feel like a race bike once it gets around to race day

- can take on california rough terrain and loose-ness with ease..."

I've ridden a Demo 8, haven't ridden a 303 RDH, but based on what I've seen
and read, here's my 2 cents.. If you want something pop-able, nimble, and
more active feeling go for the 303. If you want something that has more of a
race-bike stick to the ground feel, and better in the rough go for the Demo
8.. Obviously I'd recommend riding both, and maybe adding a 951 into the
mix, it sounds like a bike in between the 303 and the demo 8..

EDIT: Something also cool about the 951 is you can run it in 2 modes, the
higher bb height, steeper head angle mode and the low bb height, slacker head
angle. Run it in the higher mode when you start riding it and switch to the
lower mode once you progress.. 303 RDH is also adjustable, in a similar way,
951 just has the VPP..

|

10/28/2009 8:33 AM

I concur with El Capitan, the Demo 8 is probably more stable in the rough, but the 303R was designed to be very agile and light, if you want a better cornering bike, I would go for the 303R...

The 951 is also a great option, about the same features of the 303RDH (adjustable HA, BB Height) however at $300-500 more...

Either option is great for what you want in your next DH Bike

|

10/28/2009 7:21 PM

yes, i have considered a 951, almost as much as the yeti and the specialized. The reason i did not have the 951 in my final decision is because i do not want to take chances with a FRO bike... so idf i understadn what you guys are saying....

demo 8= stick-to-the-groundness
303 RDH= hoppy corner bike....

hmmmm im still tied on both...

|

10/29/2009 8:49 PM

have you ridden both?

|

10/30/2009 5:56 PM

If price is a concern:

http://www.go-ride.com/SPD/turner-dhr--160B0000-1131418755.jsp

If price is not a concern:

http://www.go-ride.com/SPD/turner-dhr--160B0000-1131418755.jsp

It can easily be build up for under $4K.

As for your question: 303 RDH.

|

11/1/2009 8:20 AM

no, i haven't ridden both, ive been having a very hard time even finding two people that own both bikes in California....

ive considered the turner frame before, its a great bike, no doubt, but i feel like i just want something "newer."

|

11/1/2009 10:04 PM

I would have to disagree with Alfarac on how the 303 would be the better cornering bike. The demo's BB height is more than .5in lower than the 303 and the suspension is much more supple, so naturally the demo would turn like an F1 car as long as your willing to lean that far over. The Turner DHR is an amazing bike, you shouldn't care about how cool the bike is, that thing flys and turns better than any bike out there. The Demo though if your not going to be racing is most likely too muuch bike to just have for riding, the 303 DHR or a 951 would be better. The 951 is totally sick, like an M6 but more progressive (check out the October Decline).

|

11/2/2009 5:01 AM

Very well could be, though, in my preference (since the trails I ride are not groomed and are pretty rough) I have never ridden anything lower than 14' bb height. It does not do you any good to have that low BB height if the terrain does not let you lean it that much and if you would be banging the cranks and pedals everywhere.

However after seeing the new demo and some reviews, I think the frame seems very good (this year they changed a couple of things to make it a DH Race frame), with only that low BB height and the short chainstays being a problem (in my opinion).

Regarding the Turner, I agree its a rocket, I own one and they just rule...

|

11/2/2009 8:33 PM

like i have said before, if the turner was an option, i would totally go for it, except barely anyone has one, i contacted many shops as well as turner, they all said they dont have anymore...

my only worry with the yeti is that it wouldnt be as much of a "play bike" as other options. in other words, i can still bust some steez (one day suicides...), do some drops, hit some large sized jumps, maybe a road gap or two, you know, freeride stuff....

|

11/3/2009 5:29 PM

guys, another bikes kinda coming into play... transition blindside.... would this be a better option?

|

11/4/2009 8:53 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/4/2011 5:10 PM

Dang dude - I've ridden all of these but the demo.

The 303 is super fun - when i rode it I felt like the rider was really in control of the bike.. it was really easy to put it where you wanted it, it was pretty nimble and still would forgive your (my) mistakes.

The Blindside - great bike for DH/FR, overall it is just a solid bike ... and at a great price point,

951 - this bike is also insanely fun. I rode it at blackrock when intense was up there doing a demo. so I only got one lap on it. In that one lap the bike was very stable and quick. It only felt a bit slow on some of the tighter turns.. but that was probably because of the pilot and not the bike.

Also take a look at the Banshee Scythe - very adjustable and another great pricepoint.
http://bansheebikes.blogspot.com/search/label/Scythe

I think this or the blindside will be the better option if you're looking or a bike to get better on for the next two years.

|

I'm Slow

11/5/2009 10:22 PM

so heres my call from what ive heard so-far:

yeti-
-nimble, agile, hoppy
- still swallows bumps
-more race worthy...

demo-
- a "plow" bike
- corners just as well as the yeti
- more of a fun, play bike

ive also gave little thought to getting an SX-trail and hooking a boxxer up to it...

|

11/7/2009 4:12 PM

well i guess now im leaning much more towards the demo for the simple fact thats its more a "fun" bike that a competitive bike....

the demo is a big i can really progress on and still have loads of fun on compared to the yeti where i have to be careful how and where i ride it. the yeti is sick, but for my riding and my leve, etc, i believe the demo will perform better

i would like to thank anyone and everyone that gave their input, it really helped!

peacout,
kevin---

|