Would you find a useful a website for answering the perennial question: What tires should I get for the terrain/locality/season I'm going to ride?

deadflat
Edited Date/Time 7/28/2015 1:22pm

The Idea
Provide an online website/database that allows riders to contribute and find tires that work well for a chosen terrain and season.

The Data
Basically, the data would be crowd-sourced from people like you, and the LBS community. Questions like:

* What tires do you ride?
* Where do you ride them?
* What seasons do you ride them?
* What kind of conditions (from a standardized list) do they work best in ?
* On a scale of 1-3, how would you rate them?

With some data, visitors could check out what tires are "good" for the area they want to ride in, based on seasons. For example, I live in the Southeast US and ride on hard-packed clay, rocks, and lots of roots (all single-track). My tire selection for the summer is way different than for the winter, where it's a mud-fest for months at a time.

Utility?

* Find some good tires!
* Save money!
* Potentially create a "tire swap" for locals

I'm looking at starting this project because I might be out of a job in the next few months and might be able to generate ad revenue/sponsorship through the above concept, while still providing a useful service to the MTB community.

Thoughts?
I'm open to all critiques and suggestions - thanks for reading!

PS - this is posted on the MTB subreddit too.
|
7/27/2015 11:23am
Good idea but have you considered people who don't know a think about say psi in their tires or rim with and post something that could be false info
deadflat
7/28/2015 12:52pm
I had not, but certainly will need to consider that. It may end up being a good place to further educate people about tire pressure and so forth. Thanks!
scarface
7/28/2015 1:00pm
Easy website to build - High Roller 2 EXO. Done.
7/28/2015 1:18pm
The more inputs you can make the information giver the better- tire psi, trail conditions, rim with, rim brand, mounting problems, tempture, rider skill, rider bike, tire size, tire with, ply number (number of layers in the tire), price, tire compound (some company's have different compounds for the same tire). There is probably more I can't think of, also it should have like sliders or something like you see on websites to choose a price range, for all of the above variables to filter out reviews, also there could be a star system for reviewers so if someone else buys a tire someone recommended and agreed with the review then a five star rating could be given to the reviewer and higher rated reviewers could be at the top
7/28/2015 1:22pm

Something like this might be cool and useful not only for price but for all the variables I said in the above post

Post a reply to: Would you find a useful a website for answering the perennial question: What tires should I get for the terrain/locality/season I'm going to ride?

The Latest