World Cup Downhill MTB Race Talk

Create New Tag

6/1/2019 1:16 PM

Gwin on aluminium cranks this weekend...

And is he running Crankbros pedals? MTB-news clearly took the pics of his bike.

|

6/1/2019 1:17 PM

I would too

|

6/1/2019 1:31 PM

Not just only for qualifying.
Only if it´d bring other value alongside it, like more cameras.
Also they´d have to first make the situation better for all the independent media guys on the track before i´d trust RB with going full paid coverage.
I fear if they´d go for it, they´d agressively protect their property and kill amazing things like cathrovision in the process.

|

6/1/2019 4:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/1/2019 4:51 PM

jeff.brines wrote:

Serious Question...

Would anyone here pay for a "season pass" (like motocross) to be able to watch a live feed of qualifying? I would. I'd pay $50 or something to watch it through the year.

RedBull is already there filming, and I get paying for the crew isn't free, but just to put a handful of camera men on course and then have the control booth toggle between them for everyone's run, even without a commentator, I'd be in.

Net cost to RedBull would be minimal being I have to think their fixed costs of filming are the big chunk compared to the variable cost of one more day for a handful of dudes. (Maybe $5K?)

k.shiz wrote:

Definitely not $5k.

Not saying that sales of a "season pass" with extra access to media would not be able to offset the additional expense for production on that extra day but it's a lot more than $5k I would guess. I can't speak to the specifics of how Red Bull is running things but you're potentially having to bring in the cam ops a day earlier, that includes lodging, per diem, and work meals. Any additional support crew like assistant camera crew, same thing. If you want audio on that feed you'll have to be paying for an audio supervisor and any sound utility crew who now also potentially have to be brought in and supported a day earlier. The tech truck people have to get in a day earlier to build out and get things running in time to capture qualifiers and that's more than just one person at a board switching feed from camera to camera. That's a whole bunch of people who have to run miles of cable on the hillside, build out the data pipeline, get the control room operational, etc. All those people need to get there and do this a day earlier now too.

It would not surprise me if it was more than an order of magnitude more expensive than $5k. My guess would be closer to 50k. Could they sell a thousand subscriptions to that extra access at $50 worldwide per season? Probably. I likely would buy into it. But production ain't cheap. And it's rarely as simple as just tossing a few dudes at a location with a camera for an extra day.

don't they film quali already though? maybe not in full but for race webcast they show footage from qualifiers. i'd pay $99/year for quali. no sweat. maybe you could get some extended race day coverage too? not sure how complicated that would be. i'd have to think 1000 people would. i'd hope so. maybe not though. obviously the race is king, but quali's are so interesting and if it was just a big block of the whole session, you could see riders who don't qualify.

|

6/1/2019 5:10 PM

ok, i just started a separate thread/poll about paying for more RBTV coverage. great question, jeff.
https://www.vitalmtb.com/forums/The-Hub,2/Would-You-Pay-to-Watch-More-World-Cup-DH-on-Red-Bull-TV,10572

|

6/2/2019 1:44 AM

Red Bull's Ric McLaughlin catches up with the riders at the finish line of qualifying in Fort William, offering a unique opportunity to get their impressions fresh off their runs:

|

6/2/2019 3:55 AM

shreda wrote:

Gwin on aluminium cranks this weekend...

And is he running Crankbros pedals? MTB-news clearly took the pics of his bike.

Nope, look closer, he is running his carbon cranks with black HT pedals. Gwin is running air shock, Neko coil.
Your first picture must be Neko's bike.

On this picture you clearly see it, the AG on the shock means it's Gwin's bike.

|

6/2/2019 9:25 AM

Stoked For Iles' result, was hoping he would take the W.

And holy hell, Gwin's crash was scary.

|

6/3/2019 5:15 PM

Another view of Loic's crash:

|

6/3/2019 5:21 PM

Marshall Willanholly wrote:

Another view of Loic's crash:

That looks nasty. Catho has Gwinn's crash on his youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_72HiAxpGk

|

6/4/2019 1:51 AM

Post-race WynTV interviews from Fort William, don't miss out:

|

6/4/2019 2:00 AM

Winning runs from Fort William. We're still trying to regain our composure after Amaury's finish line jump...

|

6/4/2019 5:37 AM

Propain Factory Racing team edit from Fort William:

|

6/5/2019 3:08 AM

It was an...uhhh...intense weekend for the Intense boys in Fort William, with injuries, stolen bikes, and big crashes on the menu. Onto Leogang then.

|

6/5/2019 3:54 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/5/2019 3:54 AM

Time to get your crystal balls out people, who do you think will win in Leogang? In the reverse order of the current World Cup standings, the poll features the top 19 elite male riders coming into this week, + a wildcard option (specify in comments if "Other" is your pick):

Who Will Win the 2019 Leogang DH World Cup (Men)?

|

6/5/2019 7:29 AM

|

6/5/2019 8:35 AM

iceman2058 wrote:

Time to get your crystal balls out people, who do you think will win in Leogang? In the reverse order of the current World Cup standings, the poll features the top 19 elite male riders coming into this week, + a wildcard option (specify in comments if "Other" is your pick):

Chuck is gonna throw down his 1st gauntlet

|

Trouble Maker. Here to spit truth in the form of sarcasm.

6/5/2019 8:36 AM

iceman2058 wrote:

Propain Factory Racing team edit from Fort William:

They have a team? 😉

|

Trouble Maker. Here to spit truth in the form of sarcasm.

6/5/2019 1:27 PM

iceman2058 wrote:

Brook Mac Moto Donald!

|

6/5/2019 5:14 PM

So many good options here. Finn and Loic were looking fast at Fort Bill even after their crashes, can they keep the pace up? Not too sure about Gwin after his massive ragdoll. Amaury is a solid choice, but I'm hoping that Troy can pull off a win and make this an interesting season.
Sidenote, I've saved this for posterity iceman

|

6/6/2019 8:03 AM

iceman2058 wrote:

Its Troy, its really got to be Troy. The man lives on the podium but always just shy of the win

|

6/6/2019 8:27 AM

Wow, there is some serious faith in Gwin on this forum! Did you guys see all the bad luck he had last week, not sure I would even want to get on the bike this weekend, let alone race were I in his shoes. Although Gwin+Leogang is like Hill+flats, miracles can happen!

I say Pierron 2s up.

|

6/6/2019 8:30 AM

Masjo wrote:

So many good options here. Finn and Loic were looking fast at Fort Bill even after their crashes, can they keep the pace up? Not too sure about Gwin after his massive ragdoll. Amaury is a solid choice, but I'm hoping that Troy can pull off a win and make this an interesting season.
Sidenote, I've saved this for posterity iceman

HAHAHAHA thanks, I was just gonna not ever post again but your solution means I'm back in business!

|

6/6/2019 11:17 PM

So many memories on WC at Leogang. Can we do "guess the riders?"

8 years ago

and 9 years ago.

|

6/7/2019 4:33 AM

Kusa wrote:

So many memories on WC at Leogang. Can we do "guess the riders?"

8 years ago

and 9 years ago.

Brook and Troy

|

6/7/2019 5:26 AM

those shots...wow. even troy's bike looks tiny!

pit bits pile up right here
https://www.vitalmtb.com/tags/pit_bits_vital_feature?taggable=all

|

6/7/2019 8:24 AM

how freaking close is leogang timed training?
https://www.vitalmtb.com/news/news/RESULTS-Timed-Training-Leogang-World-Cup-Downhill,1245

mitch beats greg by .008, loic over amaury by .01, 3rd thru 21st only 3 seconds apart. so gnarly!!!

|

6/7/2019 9:47 AM

With the course preview up, VITAL RAW is going to have some carnage in it. The off-chambers and the new sections look wild with the speed and lines going into em.

BRING IT

|

6/7/2019 10:38 AM

so creepy

|

6/7/2019 11:10 AM

The Leogang track is getting its normal dislike from the riders and fans. I agree it's far from the best track with plenty of better options out there. But I'm pumped for the high speeds, off camber sections and that damn view is incredible.

|