Will team changes impact results at the first world cup?

Create New Tag

3/29/2016 3:42 PM

Lourdes is a little more than a week away! After this first EWS, i started wondering how much team changes will impact results for the world cup downhillers. there's no way to really know, but it's fun to speculate. the top 10 or 11 (i think) except for graves at the EWS were all on the same bikes/teams they were on in 2015. granted, there wasn't a lot of team hopping this year for enduro, but world cup DHers made some jumps this year. will a new bike, team or environment matter?

notables on new teams/bikes
gwin is fully fresh from the ground up aside from suspension (we haven't seen him race the new whip at all yet)
loic and loris basically have the same team, but a different frame
athertons on trek
brook on GT
brannigan on commencal

notables on same team/bikes
syndicate crew like minnaar and ratty
troy still on specialized
remi on commencal
stevie smith on devinci
connor fearon on kona

Ratty from Lourdes via Sven Martin from last year. BRING IT ON!

|

3/29/2016 3:51 PM

If Gwin's first years at Specialized are anything to go by then it certainly will make a difference. As much as everyone says it's not about the bike when these guys are really pushing the small details matter, 5mm of chainstay here, a half a degree slacker head angle there, a different linkage design. These can either inspire confidence or sketch a rider out. And when you're pushing for every last second on a course as gnarly as Lourdes the last thing you want to worry about is how your new tyre sponsor's rubber is gonna hook up. Yes these people are pro athletes and will adapt but at the first races at least compared to being comfortable on a setup for one if not several years then anything new is a challenge.

|

3/29/2016 4:55 PM

Videos around the webs of Brannigan in Aus and NZ made it seemed like he was PERFECTLY comfortable on that new bike. Much Fast, Many Sending, wow.

Excited to see what Fearon brings this year too, had a split last year of the Carbon Operator and the ALU 27.5 Operator, should have his sea legs underneath him by now.

Im just excited for a freshie RAW video every week.

|

3/29/2016 6:52 PM

Saw gwin at a downhill race at Bootleg. F@cking flying. He is insanely fast.

|

3/29/2016 7:30 PM

Does Peaty have enough points to race?

|

3/29/2016 7:37 PM

Wyn gets no love on GT? I have high hopes for his riding and his video content. GTMediaHouse. Bring back Wheelie Wednesday!

|

3/29/2016 9:28 PM

Big Bird wrote:

Wyn gets no love on GT? I have high hopes for his riding and his video content. GTMediaHouse. Bring back Wheelie Wednesday!

Wyn was banged up at crankworx with a bad wrist. I think he's been keeping things easy before the first race.

|

3/30/2016 4:43 AM

Sam Hill off the D3 - will he even know what t do at the start gate?

|

3/30/2016 5:17 AM

BigBoi wrote:

I smoke ganja every day. Some don't smoke at all. Some smoke ganja sometimes. But me, I like to smoke it every day particularly when I ride my bike.

BigBoi quote - Feb. 7th 2016

Maybe Sam needs your help BigBoi.

Run! Run as fast as you can!!

|

3/30/2016 6:52 AM

A few teams switched some major sponsors as well:

Devinci to Maxxis (and rumors of another high profile team possibly on the Minion sharpie plan)

Commencal to Rockshox

Mondraker on Fox

|

3/30/2016 7:20 AM

LTrumpore wrote:

Devinci to Maxxis (and rumors of another high profile team possibly on the Minion sharpie plan)

Commencal to Rockshox

Mondraker on Fox

suspension and tires seem like the biggest changes to figure out for both rider and mechanics/techs. the suspension companies obviously all have their programs worked out, but like mentioned above, the may be battling a bit of the mental unknown at this first elite race.

|

3/30/2016 8:41 AM

Hill and the rest of CRC/Paypal, as well as Josh Bryceland, now on MRP. Look for 5-10% improvements in radness.

|

MRP - VP of Business Dev.

3/30/2016 9:23 AM

davikidd wrote:

Wyn was banged up at crankworx with a bad wrist. I think he's been keeping things easy before the first race.

I thought that was his brother Eddie.

|

3/30/2016 9:52 AM

BigBoi wrote:

Still devastated over this.

Also let me add, Luca Shaw, back on the Santa Cruz V10, SRAM TLD RACING machine. We did a training camp in boulder city for a few days a month ago...after the kid spent the winter in Oz, his riding style got more playful and he is really really fast right now. Luca is the 2nd fastest american and the rookie of the year in 2015.

|

3/30/2016 12:30 PM

DaRanger wrote:

Saw gwin at a downhill race at Bootleg. F@cking flying. He is insanely fast.

Gwin won Bootleg and Fontucky. Not World Cup, but wins on difficult tracks. He's going to be fine.

|

3/30/2016 1:25 PM

Aside from team news, this winter seemed especially quiet on the Pro rider front. Hoping they've all been training like maniacs and dialing things in for an incredible first race. I love that things kick off in Lourdes, which should be a true indicator of who has been getting after it in the offseason.

Based on this weather forecast, it looks like it's going to be a wild one!

|

Like bikes? Hit Vital up on Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube.

3/30/2016 1:37 PM

NoahColorado wrote:

Hill and the rest of CRC/Paypal, as well as Josh Bryceland, now on MRP. Look for 5-10% improvements in radness.

What use is a chainguide when he doesn't even need a chain to win?

|

3/30/2016 1:52 PM

LTrumpore wrote:

Commencal to Rockshox

Mondraker on Fox

I'm guessing the "YTMob" will be on sharpied Minions?

|

3/30/2016 2:15 PM

bturman wrote:

Aside from team news, this winter seemed especially quiet on the Pro rider front. Hoping they've all been training like maniacs and dialing things in for an incredible first race. I love that things kick off in Lourdes, which should be a true indicator of who has been getting after it in the offseason.

Based on this weather forecast, it looks like it's going to be a wild one!

uhhhhhhh.

|

3/30/2016 8:17 PM

ok, after gwin's "downtime" video, i'm not seeing him having much to get used to! freaking on it.
http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/member/Behind-the-Scenes-of-a-Champion,31188/970biking,307

and those who mentioned above that he had raced at bootleg and fontana...you're right, i forgot about that!

|

3/31/2016 3:28 AM

Off topic, but Myriam Nicole is out with a broken shoulder.

|

3/31/2016 12:20 PM

sspomer wrote:

ok, after gwin's "downtime" video, i'm not seeing him having much to get used to! freaking on it.
http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/member/Behind-the-Scenes-of-a-Champion,31188/970biking,307

and those who mentioned above that he had raced at bootleg and fontana...you're right, i forgot about that!

it seems the yt is much closer to his last bike than his last bike was to the bike before that. change can be difficult but i don't think it's going to be as drastic as before.

|

3/31/2016 5:44 PM

LTrumpore wrote:

Off topic, but Myriam Nicole is out with a broken shoulder.

she broke her shoulder early on last year too as I recall.

|