Who's Your Local Hero?

Create New Tag

5/11/2016 4:39 PM

In every town/riding spot there are local riders who absolutely crush it on a bike, but because they don't want to race, never made the right connections, or have never filmed a widespread video part, chances are pretty good many of us have never heard of them. We listen to tales about them in local shops, their names are dropped by friends on the trail, you walk down impossible lines they've conquered, once in a blue moon you catch a glimpse of them around the bend but are never able to catch up, and sometimes they champion massive efforts to build trail or cultivate the local scene. Often times you're in awe of their awesomeness - these guys are basically super pro level riders that haven't been recognized on the global scene.

In this forum post I'd like to hear about your local hero(s). Who are the guys and gals that absolutely crush it in your neck of the woods, what makes them awesome, and where do you live/ride?

Asheville, North Carolina shredder Evan Scott Voss is an example of a local hero in our book. Photo by Derek DiLuzio.

|

Like bikes? Hit Vital up on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.

5/11/2016 8:11 PM

Hmm. That's a good question. My hometown riding zone is Laguna Beach. We have 3 obvious legends that live here; Lopes, Hans and Schley. I don't know know Lopes or Hans but Schley is a good dude and freakin hilarious at times so he's up there. My vote for Laguna would have to be a rider some may know locally but probably isn't known in the mainstream. His name is Jim Clark. He's probably one of the best steeps/tech riders around in my opinion and one of the coolest dudes you'll meet on the trail. Oh and he's almost 60. Need I say more? Jim Clark FTW!

|

5/11/2016 10:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/11/2016 10:52 PM

26 Clips: Guy Marsh - More Mountain Biking Videos

Guy Marsh, Pacific Northwest
|

5/11/2016 11:30 PM

My home trails are the ones at Smithfield. I ride on occasion with someone called Graham and he absolutely nails EVERYTHING. Not only that, but he's always willing to talert time and show me new things on the bike too. Absolute legend!

|

5/12/2016 4:35 AM

Lynn Woods, Mass

... for a long time it's been The Swede.

|

5/12/2016 5:11 AM

Buffalo has no local shred heros. The MTB scene in this town is super weak

|

5/12/2016 9:27 AM

Our home town and region is host to a ton of big guns, guys like Zink and Paul Bass. Hell that Lars Sternburgalur guy is from Carson. Watts just moved here and we're sure there are even more people. But if we had to look at what qualifies as a "hometown hero," we would have to go with one guy and one guy only: Jon Wilson.

Check out what Team Robot has to say: http://theteamrobot.blogspot.com/search?q=jon+wilson

Wilson might be the finest bike handler we've ever seen and in all humility, a statement like that coming from this office should carry some serious weight.

|

5/12/2016 9:46 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/12/2016 11:55 AM

Local dentist (yeah, queue the jokes). He shreds. Over 18 years older than me and I still wont touch him on any climb...

CLICK HD!!

|

5/12/2016 10:05 AM

In Hood River there's a young man named Gary Passch. Nobody rides like that kid. Very humble. He can compete with Brian Lopes and not know who BL is.......but we ALL know BL. Visit Dirty Fingers Bike Shop on State Street, ask about Gary, he might be working on your bike.

|

5/12/2016 10:51 AM

I live in Laguna Beach too and I second Jim Clarke. His skills on steep technical trails are second to none.

|

5/12/2016 1:46 PM

I live in Queenstown. Honestly 5 names are popping in my head right now...

|

5/12/2016 2:01 PM

YT USA wrote:

Our home town and region is host to a ton of big guns, guys like Zink and Paul Bass. Hell that Lars Sternburgalur guy is from Carson. Watts just moved here and we're sure there are even more people. But if we had to look at what qualifies as a "hometown hero," we would have to go with one guy and one guy only: Jon Wilson.

Check out what Team Robot has to say: http://theteamrobot.blogspot.com/search?q=jon+wilson

Wilson might be the finest bike handler we've ever seen and in all humility, a statement like that coming from this office should carry some serious weight.

+1 for Jon Wilson. When I start thinking I'm fast, all I have to do is follow Jon down a trail to set myself straight.

|

5/12/2016 8:49 PM

Craig Cleary of Hood River too, he is just awesome on trail bikes and bike parks. We call him Optimus Prime cause he leads the train down the tracks/trail.

|

5/13/2016 3:52 AM

Living in Sheffield, that's an obvious one.

|

5/13/2016 4:22 AM

I'm from burgundy, France, so Anne Caroline chausson is my early year hero (still now). Now i live near Paris so my local hero is Antoine bizet.(coooool guy). But my hero forever is my wife, she rides (her bike) better and better every week-end !

|

5/13/2016 10:44 AM

^I'll second Evan Voss.

I'll also add Matt Clements better known as Buffalo Man. One of the friendliest riders around who can be competitive almost every discipline. One day he'll be throwing barspins at the park, the next day he'll be crushing a CX/XC/Road race, and then hop on a DH bike and get loose.

|

5/13/2016 11:47 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/13/2016 11:48 AM

Kyle Mears. Also known as the Mayor of Moab. When not shuttling people to the top of Burro he's crushing. Up or down, doesn't matter.

Here he is leading Nate Hills out on Portal...

|

5/14/2016 5:57 AM

From Toowoomba. Australia it has to be old mate Jared Graves.

|