Accessibility Widget: On | Off

Which pins to remove from flat pedals?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/13/2015 8:14 AM

I have a pair of Specialized flat pedals. I'm not a big flat pedal guy, but have them in my dj. I'm hoping to do some park riding over the winter and so I want / need less traction than how they come stock.

Problem is, my dj sits idle from May to November, while I ride trails and DH. The pins that came with are rusted or mud-caked in. I've rounded the first few Allen heads that I tried to turn.

Tips on which pins that I should drill out first? Or other approaches. Once the drill comes out, I may only get one shot at this.

Three pins on front and back of each pedal, two on inside / outside edge, and two in middle. 12 total on each pedal side. I wear 5/10 high top DH shows, so I've got plenty of grip there. Looking to work with what I have and not buy new shoes or pedals.

|

11/13/2015 10:26 AM

DJ bike = Vans Half Cabs

Don't drill your pedals... I wouldn't even modify them in the first place. But if you insist, use a file.

|

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

11/13/2015 10:54 AM

You might also try a pair of pliers.

When I remove pins (pretty rare), I usually remove pins near the center of the pedal first, which helps keep that nice concave shape.

|

11/13/2015 3:56 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/13/2015 5:03 PM

Oh, sorry. I misread and assumed the pins were molded in like on some of Shimano's lower end pedals.

If they're just stripped or you can't get a allen in there, vice grips will do the trick. I've done this many times to remove damaged pins. These guys:

Photo

|

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

11/13/2015 4:06 PM

A little Liquid Wrench or other such product would help as well. I second Butterman's opinion to take out the center ones first to make concavity and leave the ones on the edges to keep you from slipping off.

|

11/14/2015 5:06 AM

Thanks, guys!

|