Accessibility Widget: On | Off

Which bike do you regret buying?

Create New Tag

7/11/2016 2:51 PM

Just as the title says, opposite of the "regret selling" thread. I think there are plenty of us who have bought bikes we either regretted immediately or in the long run. I have a couple that come to mind:

My current 5010c...we just don't get along that well for the riding I do. I bought a bike for where I thought I would be riding, not where I actually ride.

Photo

Surly Pugsley...it was fun while it lasted, but lugging the extra wheel weight around on the desert hardpack got old quickly.

Photo

|

7/12/2016 6:33 PM

Ha! Funny thread idea.

I can't say that I really have a bike that I actually regret buying, because I've always had so much fun on all my bikes. But... there's at least 2 I can think of that were pretty rough around the edges.

Photo

Photo

First one being this 2005 Big Hit FSR.... I bought it on closeout for a LBS because it was a pretty good deal and I needed a bike in a pinch. It was a medium and I'm 6'1 so... it took some adjusting to. The Manitou Stance Kingpin on it promptly blew the dust wipers days after bringing the bike home. The FOX Vanilla R shock was mega oversprung and even when I finally put the right spring on it still felt like crap. I ended up upgrading the suspension and going 1x but in the end I just didn't like the bike and sold it.

Photo

I replaced that Big Hit with a 2004 Demo 9, which was also a bad choice as I was getting into racing at the time. 48lbs?

|

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

7/19/2016 5:09 PM

in 2002 or so, i bought a used kona freeride hardtail. i forget the model, but it was super heavy, had race face north shore cranks w/ single ring/guide set-up, a big, burly seat, a marzocchi z1 etc. throw on some IRC kujo 2.35 tires. i don't know why i bought it because all the riding i did was on XC trails in the boulder/golden, CO area. my first ride at hall ranch, i knew i blew it. it wasn't the bike's fault, it was me being a moron thinking that the bikes ridden in NWD 2 would probably be good for me in colorado haha

this is not the bike, but it resembles the build LOL #badideajeans
[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

7/19/2016 5:24 PM

1999 moots ybb

|

7/19/2016 5:32 PM

Every bike I've ever owned has lead me to where I am now, which is not a bad spot to be in, so I don't really regret any

|

7/19/2016 7:24 PM

This might not actually count because I ended up really liking the bike. It was just a major pain in the ass getting it trail worthy.

This previous Christmas I scored a near mint 05 Prophet frame on ebay for a good price. It's my first FS bike (I'm a little behind I know) and I've wanted a Prophet since they first came out. So I get the frame and it looks like a museum piece. So big score there. I figured I'd get the stock 11 yr old Manitou Radium R rebuilt and deal with that until I could upgrade. That would allow me to go with a better fork to start. Well apparently rebuild kits for that generation are impossible to find so I had to source a new shock. I blew most of my fork budget on a Manitou Mcleod. I'm happy with it but I don't know the difference tbh. So I got stuck with a bottom end Marz 44 rlo from 2012 that some site was blowing out dirt cheap.

I had to move most of my components over from my hard tail (07 c-dale caffeine) including my QR only wheels so that made the difference in forks. No $$$ left for wheels and a decent 15mm thru fork.
Then the guy forgot to include, or didn't know about the little plastic f der cable guide under the BB. I had to source that. Cheap but more delays. Had some confusion finding the right head set. Almost x threaded the BB, and my rear brake line was too short. I was wrenching in my apartment living room and somehow my wife didn't kill me for the mess I made building it all up over time. (No work stand either)

I've been on it for a few months and honestly my only big regret (besides no $$$ budget) is the sizing. I got a Medium. That'd be my size now for most bikes. I could've sized up to a Large. The geo and Cannondale's sizing at the time make it an odd fit. The stand over and seat tube length are good but the top tube and related numbers feel short. I've played around with stem length and bar width/rise and it helps but it seems odd running a 90mm stem with 725mm mid rise bars. Maybe I'm still adjusting to the handling coming from my twitchy hard tail.

Regrets? Mostly in budget and planning. The bike seems to ride fine more or less. The biggest annoyance tuning wise is that the f der adjustment screws are very hard to get to with the way the rear swing arm is designed. I want to go 1x11 anyway.

|

7/19/2016 8:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/19/2016 8:31 PM

2016 Banshee Spitfire. Bought as a frame not complete, it was crooked out of the box (both the shock mount and the rear triangle). Banshee refused to do anything about it. Regarding the crooked shock mount, Banshee said the side loading to the shock wouldn't be a problem because the Cane Creek Inline that it came with was "a tough shock". The shop it was ordered through tried to get it warrantied, with Banshee pretty much ignoring them. After about 2 months they finally agreed to take it back and replace it, as long as I paid shipping, $350...each way. Of course by then I didn't even want the damn thing, so they agreed to take it back but would only give a partial refund. After they received the frame/shock, it still took 3 months and the threat of siccing a lawyer on them before they paid up, which amounted to $1000 of the $1700 I had paid for it. Got a Kona Process 153DL instead. It's great!

|

7/19/2016 8:53 PM

Holy crap. this is amazing. Derf - it takes some serious balls to put those pics up...you were borderline FAF crew back then

|

7/19/2016 9:03 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/19/2016 9:04 PM

my Yeti SB6c, miss my old 650b Intense Carbine

|

7/19/2016 9:14 PM

Evil Uprising (Warranty issues)

|

7/19/2016 10:16 PM

utopiaarch wrote:

The is exactly my regret bike as well. Climbed horribly, I don't care what the reviews said, shock leverage ratio was squirrely. Hated it. Sold it and bought the bike that works best for me Turner Burner v3.1. It never felt right having a Yeti next to my families 3 other Turners either. It felt dirty.

|

7/19/2016 10:41 PM

The second generation Nukeproof mega, the one with square box section tubing. I'm a bit of a Nukeproof fanboy, I've had every iteration and just building up a new one but the 26" version of the mega AM was a pig. Unfortunately mine had a ccdb coil as well so it weighed more than my house, the seat angle was real slack - you couldn't pedal it even if it was lighter and they hung onto 44mm headtubes a little too long. Wasted 6 months hating that one!

|

7/19/2016 11:09 PM

Sold my 2010 Santa Cruz V10 for a 2012 Rocky Mountain Flatline. Just didn't get along. Four months later I was back on a v10.

|

7/20/2016 12:33 AM

andyg73 wrote:

Sold my 2010 Santa Cruz V10 for a 2012 Rocky Mountain Flatline. Just didn't get along. Four months later I was back on a v10.

Funny thing is, carbon v10 is the one I regret buying, I got it because it was cheap of a mate, mind didn't help that the one bike I regret selling was the one I had before it, a orange 224 evo. Sure the v10 could handle the big hits better, but 224 evo out shone it in every other way. Side note, couldn't believe how much flex there is on the rear of the v10. Had problems with rear triangle and links flexing enough to impact the shock.

|

7/20/2016 12:41 AM

A Cyclecraft CSP F1 .... bike was ok besides the fork didn't have any damping. But it was stupid as I sold a absolutely classic bike, a GT sts, to buy the boring Cyclecraft. I am sure I would still ride the GT sometimes but the Cyclecraft landed in trash many years ago. At least I learned a lot on the Cyclecraft.Photo

|

7/20/2016 1:06 AM

Appalache Real (10 years ago)

Photo

I was so happy I will have a bike from dude who designed Balfa BB7. Oh boy, the quality was so bad.... once I killed around 10 shock linkages (these black plates) in a month, I knew this is the worst purchase ever. It was so badly manufactured, not only wrong materials, but it seemed like no one thought about it for a second how it should be engineered.

It was just wrong. Luckily I escaped from it (while loosing a lot of money anyway).

|

7/20/2016 2:46 AM

utopiaarch wrote:

chasejj wrote:

The is exactly my regret bike as well. Climbed horribly, I don't care what the reviews said, shock leverage ratio was squirrely. Hated it. Sold it and bought the bike that works best for me Turner Burner v3.1. It never felt right having a Yeti next to my families 3 other Turners either. It felt dirty.

yes, i think sb6c overrated. For me, the switch infinity is only marketing gimmick, i know many many people disagree with us, but glad i found out, there is someone agree with me ... yet i have to admit it go down very well ... but climb?? BIG NO for me

|

7/20/2016 5:26 AM

Around 12 years ago I bought a used Haro MX3 frame, intending to review all the geometry and suspension system to make it a true DH machine.

Shame on me!

The guy that started the project endend up lowering the seat mast but not being able to ad the linkage we though before, so after 7 months waiting for it to come back and a lot of discussions, I adjusted the shock mount in house, by hand, to put a bigger Stratos Helix Pro.

In the end I had the noisiest bike in the country, a super high BB, bad suspension system and a bike that looked like a war ship.
[LINK TO IMAGE]
[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

7/20/2016 6:12 AM

utopiaarch wrote:

yes, i think sb6c overrated. For me, the switch infinity is only marketing gimmick, i know many many people disagree with us, but glad i found out, there is someone agree with me ... yet i have to admit it go down very well ... but climb?? BIG NO for me

I cant believe the hate on SB6! Its been on my radar as a supplement to the Following. I just want a bigger bike for some park days, and for riding with slower XC people. I'm loving the Following and will keep it at least another season.

You guys with the SB6... what kind of sag were you running in the rear? What size chain ring?

|

7/20/2016 6:27 AM

ThomDawson wrote:

The second generation Nukeproof mega, the one with square box section tubing. I'm a bit of a Nukeproof fanboy, I've had every iteration and just building up a new one but the 26" version of the mega AM was a pig. Unfortunately mine had a ccdb coil as well so it weighed more than my house, the seat angle was real slack - you couldn't pedal it even if it was lighter and they hung onto 44mm headtubes a little too long. Wasted 6 months hating that one!

I had it for around 2 years. Bought it with CC Coil, it worked pretty well under high speed, but I agree the geo was maybe not the best, but also not the worst. It was a mini-dh-tank for sure. On other hand, this year I sold it and built a new Banshee Rune 2016. What a difference! Slack, aggressive, fast, low, light compared to Mega... I basically dropped down 3-4 kilos with a new build on my Rune.

|

7/20/2016 6:36 AM

Regret written all over this Ransom. Proprietary shock got replaced twice and still never really worked, the 66ata had the wind down issue, the suspension platform had so much brake jack that getting on my buddies hard tail actually felt more compliant. When I went to sell it I realized the frame had cracked at a weld. I weighed 150lbs soaking wet at the time... cracking a frame is ridiculous. This thing was all kinds of terrible. At least I feel vindicated every time vital reviews a scott bike as part of test sessions and they get crap reviews.

Photo

|

7/20/2016 6:44 AM

2015 Specialized Enduro Comp. I just don't gel with it. Got the Avy treatment on the rear shock, which made it loads better, but still just can't get along with it. Mostly my fault as I really don't need 165mm travel on my trail bike where I live and ride. Also, the proprietary shock mount is a red flag I should have heeded. Can't wait to get rid of it.

|

7/20/2016 6:48 AM

chasejj wrote:

utopiaarch wrote:

blast_off wrote:

I cant believe the hate on SB6! Its been on my radar as a supplement to the Following. I just want a bigger bike for some park days, and for riding with slower XC people. I'm loving the Following and will keep it at least another season.

You guys with the SB6... what kind of sag were you running in the rear? What size chain ring?

Yes I regret buying SB6c, but I didn't say SB6c is a bad bike, not at all. Just not worthed buying a frame that expensive. I need one bike that climb and descend equally good, so I had high hope for the switch infinity system. I compared with my old 650b intense carbine, with the exact same parts, same rear wheel travel (152mm). Carbine do climb way better than SB6c, but SB6c descend slightly better. That's why i regret buying SB6c. Maybe every rider, with different skill and needs, have a different perspectives. IMHO...

|

7/20/2016 7:18 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/20/2016 7:47 AM

Without question it would have to be the Corsair Marque. Heavy as hell, the suspension linkage bottomed out on the frame before the shock reached the end of its stroke, the idler design was a joke, and to top it off the customer service while trying to remedy these issues was about as bad as it gets.

It would have been more entertaining to take the money I spent on this frame, put it in a pile and set it on fire.

Photo

|

7/20/2016 7:44 AM

My Photo

2007 Diamondback XSL. This was a warranty replacement from of a 2004 I had. This frame sat in storage until the winter of 2014 when I sold by hardtail and decided to build this up as a light freeride type bike. Lots of pedal pob, tight cockpit, and some of the pivots on the linkage didn't have bearings!

Great starter bike for a youngster but really outdated for an advanced rider!

|

7/20/2016 7:58 AM

When I upgraded my 2008 Lapierre Spicy (amazing bike when it came out) for the 2012 model: they made a big deal about shortening the chainstays 1.5cm but they didnt make it clear they also shortened the reach, ended up being way too small, struggled with it for a year then moved on. Thought me a lot of geometry numbers though!

|

7/20/2016 8:59 AM

ThomDawson wrote:

Kusa wrote:

I had it for around 2 years. Bought it with CC Coil, it worked pretty well under high speed, but I agree the geo was maybe not the best, but also not the worst. It was a mini-dh-tank for sure. On other hand, this year I sold it and built a new Banshee Rune 2016. What a difference! Slack, aggressive, fast, low, light compared to Mega... I basically dropped down 3-4 kilos with a new build on my Rune.

A mini DH tank it certainly was and for that it did work fine but after the amazing 1st generation Mega which was a bike that really could climb as well as it descended I found the 26 Mega AM a big disappointment. Nukeproof were onto a real winner - relaunching the brand with a stand out bike with some pretty out-there geo at the time and they threw it all out the window with the second gen frame. Glad to see Nukeproof getting back to the ethos behind the first Mega!

|

7/20/2016 9:25 AM

Giant Faith...Good at nothing...

|

7/20/2016 10:20 AM

2015 Specialized Enduro Evo. Bike was the world's greatest compromise. Not really great at any one aspect of riding. I enjoyed having the ability of riding up dirt roads where I would typically be pushing my bike up, however; the ride down never felt worth the climb. The proprietary shock is all levels of crap. That bike tried to kill me on several occasions. Never again will I ever rock a downduro style bike.

|

7/20/2016 12:07 PM

Ian Collins wrote:

Holy crap. this is amazing. Derf - it takes some serious balls to put those pics up...you were borderline FAF crew back then

I wanna see your Split-Rock huck photo... you still have it?

|

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.