Where do you usually ride?

TrailHead
Edited Date/Time 5/4/2015 5:02pm
Where ya frum? Where do you ride? How often? With who? Bike to trails or drive to trails? I'm from Washington. I ride at state patrol trails, only place I CAN go. It's pretty fun!
|
Big Bird
4/23/2015 5:10pm
I've slowed down a lot lately due to an MS diagnosis and general old age, but when I do I generally ride at my friend Eric's house. He lives on forty acres just South of Santa Cruz. It's come to be known as the Freedom 40, as it's a forty acre property in Freedom CA. The property consists of a valley and the two hillsides defining it. On the left ridge we have two mini DH tracks called Hill and Gully, as well as a former stunt trail that used to feature recycled Sea Otter bridges that have now rotted away and been removed thanks to JHerbs. On the hill to the right there are a couple more mini DH trails built by the neighbor and his son, young ripper Devon Kjaer. At the top of the meadow is a short but legit slope style course built by the Aptos locals that consists of a roll in down a hill to a step down before a wood kicker to massive landing, quarter pipe/hip to berm to boner log to berm to wood lip onto a whale tail on/off. Oh and then there are the dirt jumps that I'm sure you've seen in videos that I've watched and helped develop into some world class shit. Wait till you see the new set up. I don't do the jumps any more since a $20,000 crash that almost took away my spleen, but I still enjoy the mini DH tracks. Other than that, all of the fun DH tracks in the Santa Cruz area are illegal and, sorry, secret.
TrailHead
4/24/2015 7:42am
Wow, sounds like a really cool place dude! And why would they be illegal?
Big Bird
4/24/2015 8:17am
Even though Santa Cruz is kind of a mountain bike mecca, it's also full of environmentalists that understandably don't like to see the forest torn up. If it was just the folks from Santa Cruz using the trails there probably wouldn't be any problems. The problem is in Santa Cruz's proximity to the entire Bay Area. The Highway 9 trails (Illegal) are scrubbed clean of any sign of loam and what used to be narrow single track is now six to eight feet wide in places. So we, the locals, build illegal fun trails in the most remote places in the county in the hopes that they are not found by the Bay Area hoards. Oh and I almost forgot, there's also a Tyler McCall designed dual slalom coming down the right side out of the woods and into the meadow.
TrailHead
4/24/2015 8:34am
Big Bird wrote:
Even though Santa Cruz is kind of a mountain bike mecca, it's also full of environmentalists that understandably don't like to see the forest torn up...
Even though Santa Cruz is kind of a mountain bike mecca, it's also full of environmentalists that understandably don't like to see the forest torn up. If it was just the folks from Santa Cruz using the trails there probably wouldn't be any problems. The problem is in Santa Cruz's proximity to the entire Bay Area. The Highway 9 trails (Illegal) are scrubbed clean of any sign of loam and what used to be narrow single track is now six to eight feet wide in places. So we, the locals, build illegal fun trails in the most remote places in the county in the hopes that they are not found by the Bay Area hoards. Oh and I almost forgot, there's also a Tyler McCall designed dual slalom coming down the right side out of the woods and into the meadow.
Oh I understand... That Must suck right?
visser62
4/24/2015 10:36am
I typically ride at Tiger Mountain or Tokul here around Seattle. I've only lived here for a few months though, so I'm still learning the trails around here. I'm from southwest Washington, so my main spots were around St. Helens and all over Oregon.
TrailHead
4/24/2015 12:53pm
visser62 wrote:
I typically ride at Tiger Mountain or Tokul here around Seattle. I've only lived here for a few months though, so I'm still learning the trails...
I typically ride at Tiger Mountain or Tokul here around Seattle. I've only lived here for a few months though, so I'm still learning the trails around here. I'm from southwest Washington, so my main spots were around St. Helens and all over Oregon.
Tokul is in Seattle?? I never knew. Maybe I should go there sometime!
visser62
4/24/2015 1:04pm
visser62 wrote:
I typically ride at Tiger Mountain or Tokul here around Seattle. I've only lived here for a few months though, so I'm still learning the trails...
TrailHead wrote:
Tokul is in Seattle?? I never knew. Maybe I should go there sometime!
Yeah, about a half an hour east of downtown. It's a great place to have so close.
Big Bird
4/26/2015 10:38pm Edited Date/Time 4/26/2015 10:39pm
Boosh! I rode today for the first time in almost a year. The last time was just as I was recovering from my first attack of MS. It's been half a year at least and I was a bit amazed at how much "Flow" I have lost. I survived two push up runs on Hill trail including being quite sketchy on the trail gap jump. Time to relearn. Baby steps. Did I say BOOSH!?
TrailHead
4/27/2015 9:32am
Big Bird wrote:
Boosh! I rode today for the first time in almost a year. The last time was just as I was recovering from my first attack of...
Boosh! I rode today for the first time in almost a year. The last time was just as I was recovering from my first attack of MS. It's been half a year at least and I was a bit amazed at how much "Flow" I have lost. I survived two push up runs on Hill trail including being quite sketchy on the trail gap jump. Time to relearn. Baby steps. Did I say BOOSH!?
Yes I think you did say "BOOSH"
lilcouch3x
5/3/2015 12:33pm
I ride about 4 times a week at Lebanon hills in Eagan mn
5/3/2015 9:20pm
Just moved to Rotorua and I'm planning on riding as much as I can.
Gotta find a job first. Not easy...
TrailHead
5/4/2015 5:02pm
Just moved to Rotorua and I'm planning on riding as much as I can.
Gotta find a job first. Not easy...
Good luckSmile

Post a reply to: Where do you usually ride?

The Latest