Accessibility Widget: On | Off

What do you do with a tired old frame?

Related:
Create New Tag

6/26/2011 2:57 PM

If you've been riding long enough, you've probably had the problem of what to do with an old frame.

Maybe it's cracked, or bent, or just obsolete. But you can't just kick an old friend to the curb.

I have this old Santa Cruz Super 8 that was well used and passed down to me by a good friend, I rode it for a few seasons and passed it to my brother. He tired of it, so now it's back to me. It has survived a lot of great rides. Now the rear swingarm is bent, and replacements are nowhere to be found. The old Boxxer leaks, and all the usable parts have been stripped to build other bikes.

If it was rideable, I'd sell it cheap or donate it to a (big) kid who could use it, but it can't collect dust in my garage any longer.

It might make a great beach cruiser, with the rear shock sagged way out..but in my town you'd get bike-jacked for it.

|

6/27/2011 8:00 AM

I've heard that they make great wall-hangings.

|

6/27/2011 8:00 AM

can you turn it into some sort of mechanical bull? : ) you could see how much you could get for it at a scrap aluminum yard i guess. i think the beach cruiser idea for sure. take the shock out, replace it w/ a block of wood to keep it sagged and rigid for pedaling.

|

6/27/2011 8:03 AM

One of my old frames is now a "cow bell."

|

6/27/2011 9:18 AM

I reckon you might be able to take it to a bike restorer or something like that...

|

6/27/2011 9:57 AM

Bolt it together with a bunch of other crap and make a chopper, tall bike or other freakshow 2 wheeled thing. The top half of my tall bike is a Brooklyn Machine Works park bike HT with the broken rear end cut off.

|

6/27/2011 10:55 AM

They all go to my homies legendary wall of broken parts

|

6/27/2011 11:19 AM

Uncle Cliffy wrote:

And a damn good one at that. I have video footage to prove it!

|

6/27/2011 11:50 AM

Samsquatch wrote:

Bolt it together with a bunch of other crap and make a chopper, tall bike or other freakshow 2 wheeled thing. The top half of ...more

For f**k's sake, you broke a BMW? You savage.

Big Bird gets cred for the beach cruiser idea. He was the original owner, so dude if you're listening you have first crack at it.

|

6/27/2011 12:19 PM

turn it into a fixie smile or donate it to a community bike advocacy organization like http://www.therecyclery.com/ or http://www.renobikeproject.com/index.php/about/

|

6/27/2011 2:20 PM

Mojo wheels modded an old frame to a toilet, sp now you spin the crank and it flushes!

|

6/27/2011 2:27 PM

we just make crap play bikes to screw off on our mini pump track trials course haha

|

6/28/2011 1:12 AM

Uncle Cliffy wrote:

This. A fearsome downhill harp.

|

6/28/2011 3:10 AM

We build some lakejump bikes from the old frame's. Alu frame's are the best, they keep floating for a while.

|

6/30/2011 12:31 AM

check out the stuff these guys are making wink :

|

7/2/2011 10:56 AM

Samsquatch wrote:

Bolt it together with a bunch of other crap and make a chopper, tall bike or other freakshow 2 wheeled thing. The top half of ...more

dustboy wrote:

For f**k's sake, you broke a BMW? You savage.

Big Bird gets cred for the beach cruiser idea. He was the original owner, so ...more

@dustboy. You're a pretty good fabricator, you should try Spomers idea of a bull ride bike. Just replace the shock with an eccentric gear driven by a chain from the rear wheel, so as you coast along, the bike cycles through the travel like a bucking bronco. Yee Haw! Otherwise, I already have a 41 Schwinn project that I'm not working on, so I don't need a cruiser. But man I liked that bike when it was mine. That Super 8 was the best technical climbing bike that I've ever ridden. I used to train for DH on it by doing stair climbs on UCSC campus, including the long sets near the library. 21 stairs up is my record.

|

7/2/2011 12:37 PM

Big Bird wrote:

@dustboy. You're a pretty good fabricator, you should try Spomers idea of a bull ride bike. Just replace the shock with an ...more

Heh heh, yeah that sounds hectic. Would be a good chance for me to practice a bit of machining. I agree with you on the climbing, I have climbed tech sections on the S8 that I haven't been able to touch on any other bike. Counterintuitive but true.

|

7/4/2011 8:45 AM

@dustboy. Now that I think about it, how bout you throw it in the truck next time you come to Santa Cruz. I'd like to carefully measure it's geometry to try and figure out how it climbs so well. I'm thinking of building myself an xc bike and that might be the perfect pivot placement/chainstay length.

|

7/4/2011 12:46 PM

You got it walti.

|