Accessibility Widget: On | Off

[Video] How to measure suspension BREAKAWAY force (sensitivity)

Related:
Create New Tag

3/3/2016 1:01 PM

Hi guys! Just want to share my new episode (Ep.8) smile

In this video I will show you what is the breakaway force, how to measure it, and how it affects the suspension performance.

Hope you like it.
Bye
|

3/3/2016 2:30 PM

Neat overview, Andrextr! Reducing breakaway force and friction in linkages has been the goal of manufacturers for years, and you'll see some neat developments in this area coming soon.

As far as the comparisons you're able to draw from the comments, definitely take them with a grain of salt as I believe there are a variety of factors that will influence the accuracy of the results. It's clever for a rudimentary comparison, though, and could certainly help people see how their ride is made better/worse by a new shock, bearings, different torque values, fresh grease, etc.

|

3/4/2016 8:43 AM

Yes, the ideia was to gather a good number of results and make a statistical analysis of that. By doing this I'm diluting the contribution of other external variables. Let's see what happens smile But from the results that people sent me on forums, and so on, I'm starting to think that the main contribution to the overall breakaway in most of the cases is not from the air/coil spring preload but mainly from the IFP pressure... (BTW, the IFP-derived breakaway force (in pounds) is equal to the IFP pressure (in PSI) multiplied by the shaft sectional area, in square inches).

Yes manufactures are introducing some tricks, such as bladders, negative coil springs on the damper, and low IFP pressures such as in ARMA.... but probably you know more something else new smile

Bye

|

3/24/2016 2:37 PM

The continuation of the last episode...

Episode 9

|