Tubeless tape

Related:
Primoz
7/6/2022 8:42am
Anybody got any recommendations which tubeless tape to buy?

A few years ago I bought a 50m roll of Fouriers (Laminar) blue tape from Asia. Easily the best tubeless tape I've ever tried and I have tried a few (official and ghetto solutions - Tesa 4289 was far from good for example). Sticks like crazy (most important part), nicely deforms to the shape of the rim and doesn't fall into the spoke holes too much. Basically seamless which is what you want from a tubeless tape.

It's virtually impossible to get this tape anymore. There are quite a few options on Aliexpress that look fairly similar, but only come in 10 metre rolls, which makes no sense - using just over 2 metres of tape, you can tape up 4 wheels and throw away over 10 % of the roll. Give me a 50 or a 100 m roll and call it a day.

So, does anyone have a solution that definitely works well and can be bought in a 50+ metre roll?
|
Poleczechy
7/6/2022 11:28am
Primoz wrote:
Anybody got any recommendations which tubeless tape to buy? A few years ago I bought a 50m roll of Fouriers (Laminar) blue tape from Asia. Easily...
Anybody got any recommendations which tubeless tape to buy?

A few years ago I bought a 50m roll of Fouriers (Laminar) blue tape from Asia. Easily the best tubeless tape I've ever tried and I have tried a few (official and ghetto solutions - Tesa 4289 was far from good for example). Sticks like crazy (most important part), nicely deforms to the shape of the rim and doesn't fall into the spoke holes too much. Basically seamless which is what you want from a tubeless tape.

It's virtually impossible to get this tape anymore. There are quite a few options on Aliexpress that look fairly similar, but only come in 10 metre rolls, which makes no sense - using just over 2 metres of tape, you can tape up 4 wheels and throw away over 10 % of the roll. Give me a 50 or a 100 m roll and call it a day.

So, does anyone have a solution that definitely works well and can be bought in a 50+ metre roll?
Dayum son, you taping up a pennyfarthing or what?
Primoz
7/6/2022 12:37pm
It's easy to do a rim replacement a year (dinged rims), I currently have two sets of wheels built up, taping rims for other people (or lending the tape), etc. I looked at my purchase history and the current 50 metre roll held up for about 3 years. And I've found a 100 metre roll on Aliexpress now, so I'm jumping on that one!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001882653891.html?spm=a2g0o.order_l…
Hopefully it's the same one, if yes, it's the best, I swear.
Scrub
7/6/2022 12:58pm
3M 8898 blue or 1" Gorilla Tape
Primoz
7/6/2022 1:39pm
It could be the blue 3M actually, yeah. Would need to find some to compare the two.
PJ205
7/6/2022 2:18pm
Gorilla tape works great, but the residue it leaves when you remove it is quite the process to remove. Spent a solid hour with a rag and WD-40 to get it all off then replaced the tape with this stuff that I just bought, which I like a lot so far.

https://shop.reservewheels.com/products/reserve-rim-tape
Primoz
7/6/2022 2:26pm
Isopropyl alcohol.
Dave_Camp
7/6/2022 2:32pm
gorilla tape.

clean the goo off with mineral spirits and then clean that goo off with isopropyl.

TimBud
7/7/2022 12:39am
Giant's tubeless tape (not the blue stuff) is the best I've ever used.
Made by 3M and is super easy to apply. Slightly transparent and has just the right amount of stretch so it conforms to the rim nicely and gives a great finish.
Each roll is factory cut so you never have to guess how much to use.
Loads of width options too.
jonkranked
7/7/2022 6:21am
Primoz wrote:
Isopropyl alcohol.
i got a set of wheels used that were taped with gorilla tape. i went over it briefly with a heat gun to soften the adhesive up some, then used ISO to get it off. i had been trying jus the ISO, and the heat gun made a noticeable difference. should note this was an aluminum rim. if i was going to use this approach for carbon, i'd be more careful and only heat small spots at a time.

last set of wheels i built were DT rims, and I used DT tape. wasn't a life changing experience, but I have no complaints.
PJ205
7/7/2022 7:43am
ISO didn't work by itself for me either and I didn't want to use a heat gun on my carbon wheels so I tried WD-40, which worked like a charm. After I got all the residue off, I used ISO to get rid of the WD-40 remnants. By the time I was done, everything looked brand new all over again.

Post a reply to: Tubeless tape

The Latest

The Latest