Time to Say Goodbye to USAC?

Create New Tag

7/15/2016 5:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/15/2016 5:20 PM

USA Cycling seems to be taking a lot of flack as the U.S. National Champs gets underway this week. With reports of racers being charged an additional $10 spectator ticket to walk the track on top of the $25 a day lift ticket for the 5-days of practice and the initial race entrance fee, to warning and possibly even fining participants for urinating off the track in the woods. And, finally, having substandard and dangerous trail conditions inside the tape.

Is it time, that we the riders, demand more from USAC or figure out a way to say "goodbye" to them for real? What do you all think can be done?










|

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

7/15/2016 6:35 PM

#MakeAmericaGreatAgain

|

7/15/2016 6:58 PM

I feel like USAC is like air travel, we all know it sucks, nothing worse, that it needs a total reboot-but we keep booking tickets.
Those of us that have been here for a while, know the political BS that arises from a 'new governing body' entry to world champs, etc etc...its not easy.
#peeGate is the icing on the cake though.

|

7/15/2016 7:53 PM

It happened a while back in Australia with the creation of Mountain Biking Australia (MTBA) a separate body from Cycling Australia years ago. Since they've kind of kissed and made up...

|

7/15/2016 8:01 PM

Everyone remember DH1? Hopefully if a new governing body did happen they don't go the same way.

|

7/15/2016 8:20 PM

FredLikesTrikes wrote:

USA Cycling seems to be taking a lot of flack as the U.S. National Champs gets underway this week. With reports of racers being charged an additional $10 spectator ticket to walk the track on top of the $25 a day lift ticket for the 5-days of practice and the initial race entrance fee, to warning and possibly even fining participants for urinating off the track in the woods. And, finally, having substandard and dangerous trail conditions inside the tape.

Is it time, that we the riders, demand more from USAC or figure out a way to say "goodbye" to them for real? What do you all think can be done?










According to Wentz' estimation, J Dylan Dean is close to 10' 6" tall.


|

7/15/2016 9:56 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/15/2016 10:01 PM

FredLikesTrikes wrote:

USA Cycling seems to be taking a lot of flack as the U.S. National Champs gets underway this week. With reports of racers being charged an additional $10 spectator ticket to walk the track on top of the $25 a day lift ticket for the 5-days of practice and the initial race entrance fee, to warning and possibly even fining participants for urinating off the track in the woods. And, finally, having substandard and dangerous trail conditions inside the tape.

Is it time, that we the riders, demand more from USAC or figure out a way to say "goodbye" to them for real? What do you all think can be done?










Snipa wrote:

According to Wentz' estimation, J Dylan Dean is close to 10' 6" tall.


That was Ben Furbee in the hole, who is a giant. The hole did go down further, but narrowed. No need to argue semantics though when the real issue is that USA Cycling sent riders on the course before it was even properly checked. That's just kinda sad for a National Championships.

|

I'm hungry.

7/15/2016 10:38 PM

Just be sure to point at the mid track crater as you ride by, as every good roadie knows. That way the peloton behind you can see it too.

|

7/16/2016 1:20 AM

I still type Littermag wrote:

It happened a while back in Australia with the creation of Mountain Biking Australia (MTBA) a separate body from Cycling Australia years ago. Since they've kind of kissed and made up...

MTBA is still a piss poor attempt at a governing cycling body. Our national series is a joke, and they do essentially nothing in the way of promoting their own events. They weren't always this bad, but it seems they've lost interest in supporting the sport.

|

7/16/2016 6:45 AM

That's amazing someone would be ok with taping that hole in the track. I bet it was a joke to leave it in when it was taped.

|

7/16/2016 7:44 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/16/2016 7:44 AM

Woh. What year is it? Is it 2005 again?! Somebody, quick, get me a shot of whiskey.

Seriously, I remember these exact same conversations a decade ago, and in those days, it seemed if you wanted to hold a race you HAD to be a part of the big bad governing body. These days, USA Cycling seems like that old creepy uncle who still shows up to family events even though you aren't even sure he's related to anyone in the family. In a way, you could ask him to go away, but he's old, and although smelly, doesn't really say or do much these days.

If you are trying to race world cups or go to they Olympics, you have to dance the USA Cycling dance a bit. But overall, who cares. If you get your UCI points, you got em and if you are good enough you'll never need to deal with USA Cycling again unless you chose to.

End of the day, it seems to me they've lost their clout. So we just don't need to go to their events anymore... zero participation is a good way to make a point...

|

7/16/2016 7:59 AM

Yup. Herndon is gone for a month and it goes to shit even more than usual.

|

I'm hungry.

7/16/2016 8:43 AM

To be fair, the hole at the top of the track has been covered and the track has been retaped so the hole is outside now. However there's more drama because Phil Kmetz is also being fined $20 for moving hay bails to an area where riders were commonly blowing off the track into an unprotected metal fence

|

7/16/2016 9:27 AM

$80 has been raised for the pro purse so far. Keep the fines coming.

|

I'm hungry.

7/16/2016 9:44 AM



|

Like bikes? Hit Vital up on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.

7/16/2016 10:10 AM

TRex wrote:

That was Ben Furbee in the hole, who is a giant. The hole did go down further, but narrowed. No need to argue semantics though when the real issue is that USA Cycling sent riders on the course before it was even properly checked. That's just kinda sad for a National Championships.

I agree with you, I was just trying to crack wise.

It looks like there is so much wrong here from rider safety to handing out $20 fines for everything under the sun.

|

7/16/2016 10:13 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/16/2016 11:19 AM

I signed up for 15-16 cat 2 DH online about 2 months before the race. Then when i got there I found out that they decided to turn all of the under cat 1 juniors into a massive 15-18 cat 2 AND 3 class! It was a class filled with 4 classes! Then they made the entire race with 30 second intervals between racers, instead of the proper one minute, meaning that both me and my buddy caught and passed people on our race run, ruing both of our runs and the runs of the people we caught. And to top it all off I literally had to tell them to post start times for cat 2/3 DH they posted xc of course, but not DH until i informed them that it was not up! All after paying a ridiculous $140 entry fee!

|

7/16/2016 10:22 AM

bturman wrote:

Beat me to it. More BS from USAC.... From their rule book, here's what they fined him for:


|

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

7/16/2016 10:23 AM

Official note from the "communique" from usac and kmetz/pitts #bailgate
--------------------
COMMUNIQUE #7

FINES:

1. The follow downhill riders are fined $20 for violation of rule 8A5(a).

Pro DH plate #1 – Graeme Pitts
Pro DH plate #32 – Phillip Kmetz
---------------------

|

7/16/2016 3:11 PM

Is USAC responsible for ensuring an acceptable level of safety for both event participants and spectators? And is this responsibility expressed in the agreement that racers sign when they purchase a licence?

|

7/16/2016 4:39 PM

DHsteeze wrote:

I signed up for 15-16 cat 2 DH online about 2 months before the race. Then when i got there I found out that they decided to turn all of the under cat 1 juniors into a massive 15-18 cat 2 AND 3 class! It was a class filled with 4 classes! Then they made the entire race with 30 second intervals between racers, instead of the proper one minute, meaning that both me and my buddy caught and passed people on our race run, ruing both of our runs and the runs of the people we caught. And to top it all off I literally had to tell them to post start times for cat 2/3 DH they posted xc of course, but not DH until i informed them that it was not up! All after paying a ridiculous $140 entry fee!

that's unacceptable.

|

7/16/2016 9:54 PM

jeff.brines wrote:

Woh. What year is it? Is it 2005 again?! Somebody, quick, get me a shot of whiskey.

Seriously, I remember these exact same conversations a decade ago, and in those days, it seemed if you wanted to hold a race you HAD to be a part of the big bad governing body. These days, USA Cycling seems like that old creepy uncle who still shows up to family events even though you aren't even sure he's related to anyone in the family. In a way, you could ask him to go away, but he's old, and although smelly, doesn't really say or do much these days.

If you are trying to race world cups or go to they Olympics, you have to dance the USA Cycling dance a bit. But overall, who cares. If you get your UCI points, you got em and if you are good enough you'll never need to deal with USA Cycling again unless you chose to.

End of the day, it seems to me they've lost their clout. So we just don't need to go to their events anymore... zero participation is a good way to make a point...

I recommend that everyone bitching and moaning never attend a USAC race again. Also, a little late, but if you really wanted to demonstrate your dismay a mass urination would have been a hilarious form of resistance! Maybe one can be organized for the next event.

|

7/17/2016 12:02 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/17/2016 12:03 AM

Dang, it sounds like you guys are doing it tough over there. Our series in Australia has been running steady for a while now. Things could always be improved though. Just wondering if anyone on here has a good example of a country that is doing it right? I'd be curious to know what there strategies are. Surely there are some DH governing bodies on this planet that are successful.

|

7/17/2016 9:05 AM

Only way they will learn is stop buying a license. Stop attending races that require a license. I know the pros cant do that but if they only get money from the pros they will have to figure out what is happening when they have no money coming and and no attendance at events.

I would say USAC is more worried about X but from what I have seen EVERY discipline gets shafted by them so I guess X is themselves.

|

7/17/2016 12:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/18/2016 4:46 PM

DHsteeze wrote:

I signed up for 15-16 cat 2 DH online about 2 months before the race. Then when i got there I found out that they decided to turn all of the under cat 1 juniors into a massive 15-18 cat 2 AND 3 class! It was a class filled with 4 classes! Then they made the entire race with 30 second intervals between racers, instead of the proper one minute, meaning that both me and my buddy caught and passed people on our race run, ruing both of our runs and the runs of the people we caught. And to top it all off I literally had to tell them to post start times for cat 2/3 DH they posted xc of course, but not DH until i informed them that it was not up! All after paying a ridiculous $140 entry fee!

Same sort of problem, I raced 19- 23 cat 1 and crashed because of a inexperienced rider. 30 seconds isnt enough time especially for people new to Cat 1 DH.






|

7/17/2016 12:57 PM

I'll start a new National Sanctioning Body- can't be that hard.

|

7/17/2016 4:33 PM

DHsteeze wrote:

I signed up for 15-16 cat 2 DH online about 2 months before the race. Then when i got there I found out that they decided to turn all of the under cat 1 juniors into a massive 15-18 cat 2 AND 3 class! It was a class filled with 4 classes! Then they made the entire race with 30 second intervals between racers, instead of the proper one minute, meaning that both me and my buddy caught and passed people on our race run, ruing both of our runs and the runs of the people we caught. And to top it all off I literally had to tell them to post start times for cat 2/3 DH they posted xc of course, but not DH until i informed them that it was not up! All after paying a ridiculous $140 entry fee!

Stokermtb7 wrote:

Same sort of problem, I raced 19- 23 cat 1 and crashed because of a inexperienced rider. 30 seconds isnt enough time especially for people new to Cat 1 DH.






People don't always hear you or know what you are saying. Complaining about how your run was ruined makes you sound like a poor sport unless you know with 100% certainly he knew you were there and did it on purpose. And you didn't crash because of him your crashed because of you.

|

7/18/2016 11:40 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/18/2016 7:56 PM

im sure he knew, because i was yelling at him. this rider did not want to give his run up and the dust caused me to crash.





|

7/18/2016 4:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/18/2016 4:39 PM

This is how one USAC race official reacted to a rider making a simple mistake this past weekend at National Champs. Apparently Richard Finn Jr, the rider recording his run, was almost late for his start time. With all the riders already lined up, the entrance to the start-hut was blocked so he had to enter from the front, inadvertently crossing the timing beam as he did so. I'm still blown away by how the race official confronted the rider... he's a paying customer and a stranger. How is this acceptable?



Skip to 4 minutes if you don't want to see the full run.





|

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

7/18/2016 4:50 PM

Also on Tuesday during practice right by that hole was a boulder at the bottom of a hill we jumped down. Well I hit the boulder and broke a pedal and knocked myself out. Lucky for me practice wasn't that packed that day as me and my bike laid on the course in a blind spot. They way they USAC officials handled it was pretty bad. I seen a official screaming a mom for her Jr missing his time. We need to stand together.

|